DIY connecting multi tanks

cstmpprl

Non-member
Does anyone have directions or Pics of your set up? I need to connect a few BABY tanks together, with a sump. I'm getting tired of all the water changes, tripping over all the electrical cords, and my electrical bill.
Thanks
Michelle

Sure... I want to make life simpler. LOL... I have Seahorse fry due in about a week and a half; I have Clown fish Finally Laying eggs. I want to some how link tanks together, or turn a large tank into multiple smaller tanks. As of now when I have the seahorses, I do 2 water changes a day, not to bad because they are in 5 Gal tanks. But it still eats up to much of my non existent extra time. We have Heaters, power heads, and air tubes in each Baby tank. Eating up to much electricity. I ideally would like to have the system run off filtering unit. My problem is doing so with out sucking up the babies. Is this making any sense??Michelle

timewise it would probably save you some time in water changes and stability to the overall system if you connected them all together. but i doubt youd save any eletricity though, since youd have to run pumps up from this sump. you could be better off getting a bigger tank and dividing it with aquarium dividers or something

So, we are going to try this with a bigger tank. We will be dividing it with acrylic. It will hopefully have 4 small sections made as kresils, with the acrylic gradually stepped down by an inch or so, with a fine removable mess across the top to hold in the babies. Allowing the water to flow through each compartment till the skimmer and return pump at the end. It will have small PVC putting the water back into the tanks like a spray bar. It works and looks good in my head; hopefully it will do the trick.
All comments welcome, please... If Bob gets this done for me and it is a complete failure, He may be a little upset with
me:confused:
Michelle

Hi Michelle it was nice meeting you the other day.
Hey Bob,have you guys considered talking with Kiah from Oceanus the Inland Reef?
You could shoot her a PM.I'm pretty sure she's into sea horses and breeding them.

Hi Michelle,

When I used to breed clownfish I kept the broodstock system separate from the larvae system. Typically they recommend this because you have to inundate the babies with so much food that it is easy to quickly degrade your water quality in your larger system and requiring more and larger water changes. I used water from the broodstock system to make small, regular water changes in the larvae system and then replaced the water in the larger system. I did have friends that had large systems like what you are wanting to do. They used either small breeder nets that hang on the tank wall or constructed a shallow tank in-line with the large system and had small plastic (~1 - 2.5gal) tanks with numerous holes drilled in them and fine mesh over the holes so you had some slight water movement through the tanks. As long as you can control the water flow so the babies aren't pinned to the walls or the food doesn't stick around for very long you should be ok. Another thing to consider though (for at least the clowns) is that initially they need a very dark tank with only minimal light from above as they have difficulties locating food in brightly lite environments. As they get older, you can gradually increase the amount of light they receive because their eyesight gets better as does their hunting abilities. Good luck, it is a lot of fun!

Jamison

Hi Michelle it was nice meeting you the other day.
Hey Bob,have you guys considered talking with Kiah from Oceanus the Inland Reef?
You could shoot her a PM.I'm pretty sure she's into sea horses and breeding them.

Kiah(michele) Has been a lot of help, Good moral support. We got or seahorses from her actually. It was nice meeting you also.
Michelle

Hi Michelle,

When I used to breed clownfish I kept the broodstock system separate from the larvae system. Typically they recommend this because you have to inundate the babies with so much food that it is easy to quickly degrade your water quality in your larger system and requiring more and larger water changes. I used water from the broodstock system to make small, regular water changes in the larvae system and then replaced the water in the larger system. I did have friends that had large systems like what you are wanting to do. They used either small breeder nets that hang on the tank wall or constructed a shallow tank in-line with the large system and had small plastic (~1 - 2.5gal) tanks with numerous holes drilled in them and fine mesh over the holes so you had some slight water movement through the tanks. As long as you can control the water flow so the babies aren't pinned to the walls or the food doesn't stick around for very long you should be ok. Another thing to consider though (for at least the clowns) is that initially they need a very dark tank with only minimal light from above as they have difficulties locating food in brightly lite environments. As they get older, you can gradually increase the amount of light they receive because their eyesight gets better as does their hunting abilities. Good luck, it is a lot of fun!

Jamison
That tank Were doing will be just for Fry. Right now i have 2 2.5 tanks set up 1 with Clowns fry and 1 with Bengi SP cardinals, and i have a prego reidi. Boy i sound like a breeder, NOT this was not my intention.. But things happen and i'm trying to make it a simple as possible.
Michelle

Back