DIY Stand, 29Gal JBJ Cube

ro_nicu

Non-member
Got to make myself a stand as I don't like how low the stock ones are.
Does anybody have experience in staining plywood?
I've had not so good experiences with it, blotches, especially areas where wood filler was used. I also don't really like the painted look as everything else in the room is natural wood that was stained and polyurethaned.
I already have it mostly assembled but if anybody is interested I can post some pics / cut panel sizes - It only takes 1 sheet of ply and 2 8ft 2x4s, plus a handful of galvanized screws.

I'd be interested in seeing the plans you used and some pics if you don't mind. You can post them here or PM me. Unfortunately I don't have any advice or experience in staining plywood though.

Pics will have to wait until tonight. Also, I don't have build pics, just the assembled thing.
I stained it already and it does not look perfect but it's not catastrophic either.

The shade is a little darker but the tank is going in a room that has a darker shade of wood.
Not finished yet, just 2 coats of stain, a little blotched as you can see.
Polyurethane is next, hopefully I can put 3-4 coats by the end of the weekend.

The stand is 40in height.
Material list is a 4x8 sheet of ply, 1.2in sanded pine.
20x24 for top and bottom
21x40 for sides
16.5 x 40 for front and back.

the sheet is cut at 20 all the way across the width and than the piece is cut in half to get the 20x24
the rest is cut lengthwise to get the 40 in ehight.
split across the width to get the 2 21in and 2 16.5 in pieces.
The front piece is cut to create the opening; draw the opening, dril at corners, use a saw to cut the straight lines.
The frame is made out of 2x4 that has been split in half. frame on top and bottom around the perimeter. 4 straight vertical supports in the corners.
The ply is mounted on the frame with galvanized screw (predrilled holes). the screws a countersunked and then covered with wood putty (which blotches a little when stained).
If painted is an option than the blotching should not be an issue.

Stand_1.jpg
Stand_2.jpg
Stand_3.jpg

Last edited:
Started the polyurethane. Freeking thing is supposed to dry to light use in 3 hours (according to the label, MinWax) is still sticky 6 hours later, ....
And I plan to finish it to a "glass finish" so I'll need 8-10 coats.

Back