Does anyone know how to Solder? Will Pay

Mkmreefing

Non-member
Hello I need someone who can solder
My apex energy bar stop working and I found the solution. I need to replace a Power Supply Converter inside the bar.
Please look at the images below

Need someone to remove the old pice and solder in a new one.
I will pay

Please PM me or contact me on 401-305-8004

Attachments

• IMG_8409[813].jpg
    IMG_8409[813].jpg
    140.2 KB · Views: 123
  • s-l1600.jpg
    s-l1600.jpg
    55.1 KB · Views: 118
Why not try it yourself? Just get a solder kit from harbor freight and practice a couple time and give it a go? Just heat up the old solder to loosen the old board, then clean off the old bead and apply new solder and flux. Plenty of tutorials out there

In principle it is simple, but too much heat or a dirty soldering iron tip can lead to disaster. Any jiggling during the process (like holding the wire with your fingers results in what's called a "cold" joint. Soldering correctly is becoming a lost art. I'm a robotics engineer and been building servos for radio control models since I was 7. I'm in Foxboro right off Rt95. Happy to help you out, but travel for work and not home till weekends. While you can a wood burning device at Harbor freight that claims to be a soldering iron, it has no business touching a circuit board.

I don't really know how to solder, but I learned how to do it on YouTube and fixed my apex with a cheap $20 soldering kit from Amazon. I really encourage you to give it a try. If cooper can help, all the better. But I must say, since I fixed the apex two weeks ago, I've already soldered something else. It's a good skill to have and not all that difficult to do okay-ish. I don't claim to be any good, but in this case a grade of C is good enough, IMHO.

Soldering isn’t cut and dry . I also learned soldering with my Rc hobby . Cheap irons shouldn’t be used with circuit boards

I can't attest to having it happen to me personally, but there have been stories of cheap soldering irons emitting voltage spikes that can damage certain electronic components. This is why a real soldering station is regulated and temp controlled and has circuitry to suppress stray current from the iron itself. The $20.00 soldering prod is great for tail light repair on trailers and general purpose wiring repairs, but usually so hot it melts boards and cooks insulation on the wires themselves causing it to retract and pucker. I admire anyone that's willing to give it a whirl, but don't be discouraged if your results aren't very good. I equate it to using a pocket knife for surgery instead of a scalpel. Sure it can be done, but no one does it if avoidable.

I can't attest to having it happen to me personally, but there have been stories of cheap soldering irons emitting voltage spikes that can damage certain electronic components. This is why a real soldering station is regulated and temp controlled and has circuitry to suppress stray current from the iron itself. The $20.00 soldering prod is great for tail light repair on trailers and general purpose wiring repairs, but usually so hot it melts boards and cooks insulation on the wires themselves causing it to retract and pucker. I admire anyone that's willing to give it a whirl, but don't be discouraged if your results aren't very good. I equate it to using a pocket knife for surgery instead of a scalpel. Sure it can be done, but no one does it if avoidable.
Haha in this case, disregard my comment and pay Cooper a visit. I guess this was a case of me not knowing any better and it working out alright in this particular instance.

I was repairing the internal battery that is soldered into place on my classic apex brain box. The unit is from like 2010ish? And the clock would reset every time there was a power outage. Anyway, it works again, but perhaps if I knew better at the time I would not have been so eager to pick up a cheap soldering iron and diy.

Most important is you tried and succeeded. See if you can borrow a good soldering station and make yourself a breakout box for your Apex and you'll see what a better device it is. It's better someone tries than gets "analysis paralysis" and does nothing. I certainly don't want to prevent anyone from attempting soldering, but if all you ever held was an entry level unit then you haven't really seen what great work you can do.

Your right around the corner from me, I am in Coventry and I have been in the PCB manufacturing world for 14 years. I was in manufacturing but now sales. I sell JBC soldering irons and have demo equipment all the time if you still need help. I have done a ton of hand soldering for both through hole and surface mount components.

Looks like MarkSky is local to you and and I think offering to help. Since we spoke I have the opportunity to pick up "a scratched" red sea 900 this weekend and just beyond excited to pick it up. I can still help if you want, but need to run from Foxboro to Vermont with the trailer. Let me know if you and MarkSky resolve your issue or if you still need some help. I hate to miss out on a couple frags, but I'm sure you'd agree 240 gallons of glass box is not to be missed. I'll watch to see how you make out.

Looks like MarkSky is local to you and and I think offering to help. Since we spoke I have the opportunity to pick up "a scratched" red sea 900 this weekend and just beyond excited to pick it up. I can still help if you want, but need to run from Foxboro to Vermont with the trailer. Let me know if you and MarkSky resolve your issue or if you still need some help. I hate to miss out on a couple frags, but I'm sure you'd agree 240 gallons of glass box is not to be missed. I'll watch to see how you make out.
Lol that was quite a scratch!

Yeah, probably not going to buff out....:ROFLMAO:
FF184A68-599C-4E6D-8CE0-B60568D25355.jpeg

Attachments

• FF184A68-599C-4E6D-8CE0-B60568D25355.jpeg
    FF184A68-599C-4E6D-8CE0-B60568D25355.jpeg
    110.5 KB · Views: 103
I can do it for you, i have done it before to 2 of my energy bars. Message me if you need the help.

Back