Does the "Leng Si" Cap exist in the reef hobby now?

Just a little known FYI:

Tyree's pic of Leng Sy as illustrated in Eric Borneman's "Aquarium Corals", was shot with kodachrome film. From what I understand, this accounts for the unusual brilliance of the pic.

I know why Leng
s original colony was lost, and its a shame...

I heard that ST was watching his tank when LS went overseas & he supposedly had a fragging accident!! (well more like an oops I need a peice of that!!!) (that is how he got his peice!!) This was from ST directly on a thread way back on RC.

BTW...I don't believe Joe is going to tell you that in the open forum!!;)

This is really interseting to see summarized like this, I had taken in parts of the story, and missed others.

(sorry if I suggested any misinfo in that other thread where I reccently brought this up....)

It's also quite interesting to hear about the film on the ever so well known pic, (he, what's film? How many GB does it have?).

Here's a link to the pic that I beleive that Joe was refereing to. The thing I notice about this pic is the growth from. Seems like the nodules are on steroids or something. None of the other examples I've seen pics of seem to have developed a very similar growth from, but it's hard to say what if anything that means?
http://images.google.com/imgres?img...ve+tyree+purple+cap&gbv=2&svnum=10&hl=en&sa=X

Nice article. Thanks for posting!! My cap has nudules like that. If you saw it in person you would agree. The nodules on my larger colony are stupid thick. The nodules on the smallest frags you can see their similar. BTW.....My LS was traced back to MP. I never contacted ST about my LS I have but the last time he came to visit the club I tried to get him to come over my house & see my reef. I was going to surprise him when he showed & point this coral out to him. Due to location of the meeting & where he was staying it was too far for him to travel. He did appologize to me & I was bummed but I never ended up telling him about the LS. I figured it was his loss!!

Plus the fact that he had chimed earlier on RC saying that it was extinct. I figured would be like a punch in the face to see in person. I just wanted to see the live reaction when he saw it!!!:p

BTW I actually never saw the article you posted.....Just the original comment he made on RC about it being extinct!!!

Here's another angle hopefully so you can see the nudules & how tall they are as well as thick. This is the best I can do with my camera & wher the coral is positioned in the tank. I will also post a pic of how thick the purple rim is from this very same colony pictured below.

Attachments

• MVC-003S.JPG
    MVC-003S.JPG
    63.7 KB · Views: 510
Last edited:
Here's a pic of section of the rim from the mother colony of the original. (from the same colony as the last pic in the above post)

Attachments

• MVC-002S.JPG
    MVC-002S.JPG
    46.5 KB · Views: 530
Funny, I "won" a supposed piece of this when I first started out in this hobby. I didn't/dont believe it to be true as I have heard the story, and found it hard to believe that this person I got it from had some. I wish it were the one, as my colony is about 13-14in across. Since I have switched to LEDs from MH mine has seem to lost its purple rim. I loved the purple in it as it was very bright, and most obvious when the lights were out.

derek, when the real one is happy...the purple rim is thick & very dark with lights blazing!!

This is all extremely impressive and I am proud of both of you for still having them growing in your tanks and keeping them alive. 5 years later, has it found it's way back into the hobby? You still have yours I assume?

I wonder how acquirable it is now?

Nice article. Thanks for posting!! My cap has nudules like that. If you saw it in person you would agree. The nodules on my larger colony are stupid thick. The nodules on the smallest frags you can see their similar. BTW.....My LS was traced back to MP. I never contacted ST about my LS I have but the last time he came to visit the club I tried to get him to come over my house & see my reef. I was going to surprise him when he showed & point this coral out to him. Due to location of the meeting & where he was staying it was too far for him to travel. He did appologize to me & I was bummed but I never ended up telling him about the LS. I figured it was his loss!!

Plus the fact that he had chimed earlier on RC saying that it was extinct. I figured would be like a punch in the face to see in person. I just wanted to see the live reaction when he saw it!!!:p

BTW I actually never saw the article you posted.....Just the original comment he made on RC about it being extinct!!!

Here's another angle hopefully so you can see the nudules & how tall they are as well as thick. This is the best I can do with my camera & wher the coral is positioned in the tank. I will also post a pic of how thick the purple rim is from this very same colony pictured below.

I was wondering what color are the polyps?

Back