Dow Flake

Piscevore

elsewhere
Anyone have extra? Know where I can get it?
I don't need a ton, I am making the RHF magic 2 part buffering system. Washing soda is the easy part... Anyone local? (paging scott merril, come in scott) <---I'm sure he has it... *grin*

It should be showing up in the HD pretty soon, maybe another month? I could probably give you a few cups when you come up here, if that will get you into the winter.

remember, he advises you to use baking soda, not washing soda, because baking soda will be food quality.

Thanks Jacko. When I said "washing soda" I was referring to the several cups of Baking soda that I diligently heated one time in the oven and the second time when I was boiling it into a half gallon of liquid on the stove top. I do appreciate your concern though! (Some washing soda's are impregnated with all manner of perfumes and detergents)

As an aside, upon pouring 2.25 cups of Washing soda into my girlfriends 8 quart stainless steel stock pock (read: new, expensive cookware), I was horrified to note it immediately all sank to the bottom of pot and solidified into a rock solid boiler plate. For one horrifying moment I realized I was going to spend the rest of the day chipping Sodium Carbonate off of her pot in order for her to not " find out" Heh.
I turned the heat up several notches at that point ;) (Turns out, once the water gets nice and hot, that stuff dissolved real quick).

At any rate, I hardly need 50lbs of the stuff. More like a few cups. I'll probably see Nate before any of you, so I might "borrow" a cup or two :)

I started dosing several weeks ago. Seems to be working nicely...I think. AT least the corraline on my glass likes it. I mix up a gallon at a time. I actually mix it slightly weaker then the directions. I prefer to make sure it all dissolves.
I bought a 5 lb sack of baking soda at CostCo - my wife thought I had lost it.
Then of course she realized it was for the reef

Back