EcoTech came out with a new pump this week.The Vortech MP60w ES.

STiTCH87

Saltwater OCD Victim
http://ecotechmarine.com/products/vortech-mp60w-es-propeller-pump/

"The MP60w ES is engineered for tanks with one-inch glass thickness and holding 120 to over 1,000 gallons. It uses the same award-winning technology that has made EcoTech Marine’s VorTech line the number one brand of pump among reef aquarium enthusiasts."

Sounds pretty sweet. Though personally i'd use two powerheads in any aquarium that big to avoid dead spots. Still very nice option for people with large tanks though.

Lol true, well I guess I didn't mean dead spots, but I meant as in, for example, say you have a 220 gallon tank, and this is mounted on the left side wall. If the pump is pumping 5,000gph on the left side wall, the right side wall may only have a flow of say, 4,000gph or less depending upon length of the tank. I would think a 2,5000gph on each of the side walls would make for a much more evened flow in the tank aside from that the flows would crash into each other. That, and I would think that any fish who accidently swims directly infront of a powerhead pushing 5,500gph would be annihilated, no? And that input suction around the powerhead base would likely be high to displace 5,5000gph so any snails or weak fish/inverts that venture onto the housing would get stuck in the suction? IDK I have no knowledge with pumps of this caliber, just figured i'd ask these questions not only for me to know, but in case anyone else may wonder the same.

However, that being said, Ecotech is an AMAZING company and now that I have an MP10 I would never buy or recommend any other powerhead brand personally. I love it. Actually just picked up a battery backup lastnight which can run the pump for 72 hours at roughly 250gph in my 29g in the event of a power outtage.

Last edited:
$695 according to reefbuilders.com

I believe it just came on the market today. Not sure who carries them yet if anyone aside from EcoTech retailers who'd have to custom order until they get their store's stock.

The flow from the MP40w is pretty wide, and my tang will swim against the current....although I only have mine about 2/3 of the way up.

Also, the undertow the mp40 generates makes a pretty compelling argument against dead zones, although the 2 mp40's I plan to run should be more than enough in the 180 I'm (eventually) setting up.

Back