Elegance playing shy?

aresangel

Tim- 2020- Secretary, 2019 BRS President
BRS Member
I got an elegance from Dong a month ago. Beautiful open. One day it is closed up. I moved it away from the rock thinking the shrimp walking over it was upsetting it. It began opening up for a couple days but has been somewhat shrunken for the last week. I will test water parameters but on last test everything was good.

72 gallon bow front with 20 long sump.

Last week prior to water change
Salinity 1.025
Calcium. 420
PH 8.0
KH 7-8

Temps range from 78-80.

Lighting is two black box led

Circulation is a koralina 1450? and a Jabeo not sure on the strength but I have good. Water flow :)

Suggestions on what to do. Move it higher up? In rock?

I know they are pretty passive and I have some aggressive lps throughout the tank.

703e3ad9facbc176929a67bed47c9d00.jpg

0bc58a52e0a0e7cb68c87be43a31d7c4.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Only half of it shrink up huh? If it's not health related, then I think lighting is too strong or photoperiod too long. Maybe try moving to the center of tank where its less intense. I notice one of the heads on my green torch shrink up occassionally towards the end of my 10 hr photoperiod and seems to be ok the next day. Good luck!

The left side opening up was the last 2 days or so. It is in the right corner at some of the lowest par in my tank. I was actually thinking about raising the par. Just removed 3 nems for the frag show so that may free up some space in the center.

My lights are on from 1-10 but it does get sunlight right now in the later afternoon and late morning.

Check for bristle worms under the skeleton. Also raise it above the sand bed. Sometimes small bristle worms will get inside the skeleton from the bottom and irritate the coral.

Watch out for that coral beauty as well. It might develop a fancy taste.

Thanks Dong. I lifted the skeleton out of the sand and did an inspection. No bristles near the flesh. I also moved it closer to the glass away from the rock where the bristles live. Hopes it all bounces back.

Does it look like it is going to die off or just really upset?

I notice that in your photo the side closer to the light opened more, is it the case today?

Yes. That is the side to open up. The other side is still tucked in a bit like the picture. It is more open all around today so far. No lights on yet so I will see how the day goes. It might have just been the rock/bristles near the rock upsetting it. Thanks Dong

I have never dosed or anything so I would have to look into that. Would that be a 2 part dosing? Or just an alk solution? Or would a calcium reactor bring it up? One of those is in the future for me (may be distant) but not sure what would bring it up other than water changes. I just switched to IO reef crystals from their basic because it has a higher mag and calcium content but have only done 2 water changes with that so it may take a while

You need to dose both Alk and Calcium at the appropriate ration. Calcium test kit is less sensitive than Alk test kit. You can monitor Alk level. When you dose Alk, dose calcium as well.
I have home made calcium and ALk soultion kits available for very cheap. Like $8 per gallon of Alk or calcium each. Use the calculator on Bulkreefsupply to estimate how much you need to dose for Alk. Say if you dose 30 mL of Alk, just drop 30 mL of calcium in.

I moved it away from the rock work. It is all now 1-2 extended. I also think since the sun is lower now the sunlight is hitting that side of the tank directly.

I will take a photo tonight. But the whole thing looks like the left side of the previous picture.

Updated picture.
2e9aff8ceb09e660663ad257309c42cf.jpg
b707c82d346ed0f918b26295725ee888.jpg

Not fully open but happier since being moved away from the rock work.

Back