Evaporation problems in sump

tucc185

Non-member
Over the last two weeks, I've been having some massive evaporation problems in my sump/fuge. It just seems like water won't stay there. I know there isn't a leak (I spent all yesterday looking for one), but I filled the sump yesterday morning and it's gone down almost 3/4 inch overnight. With the tapwater problems in tewksbury, I have to get spring or RO water to refill (a major inconvenience to have to do every 3-4 days). Any thoughts on whats causing this? There isn't even much salt creep around the sump--I'm so confused. My sump isn't really loud, doesn't have a lot of splashing going on, so where's the water going? It's a 20 gallon long sump, and I'm refilling about a gallon or two every 6 days or so. I've never had a DIY (and poorly made at that) sump like this before, so maybe this is normal? I don't know.
Thanks,
Mike

One gallon or two every 6 days isn't too bad, I go through about 5 gallons a week for my 55g and I have a 25g sump. What size tank do you have?

I filled mine last night and I had to put 3 more gallons this morning. Trust me, you don't have a massive evaporation problem.

Sounds very normal to me. I do about 1 to 1.5 gal per day on a 110 with 35 gal sump.

Last edited:
I was surprised at the rate as well. I am doing about 1 1/2 gallons every three days on a 29 with a 20 gal sump/fuge combo!

Back