Feeding ideas for golden angelfish

luu78

BRS Member
Hi everyone,

Hopefully I’m just being paranoid and it will soon eat. So, I have just acquired a beautiful FOWLR golden angelfish and have tried giving it live brines, Nori, frozen Manilla clam, and live rock in my sump that has light purplish sponges growing on it, also a neglected Christmas tree worm rock with various macro algae on it. It has only been half a day and I have not seen it tried any of the above foods. Any other food I can try to tempt a finicky angelfish to eat? Thanks for your help!

Try live clam on half shell.
live blackworms.
pellets or flakes. Sometime they go for the flakes and pellets before they go for the frozen.
I will try calling Uncle Neds to see if he has live black worms. I used to get them from Tropic Isle but they have not reopened yet at the new location.

It’s been half a day. It’s known as a very cryptic shy fish, potentially crepuscular, so give it space and time to settle in. For any new fish, I usually give them a day or two to settle in, feel safe and start exploring before barraging it with new foods. Given that centropyge usually graze all day, I’d wait to see it picking at rock or anything else before trying foods. Besides some of the paracentropyge, dwarfs aren’t that challenging to get eating so I wouldn’t worry too much. Also, specifically for this fish since it’s so shy there’s a good chance you won’t see it eating for quite some time until it’s particularly established in your system.

I had one of these for a while and man, they are SUPER cryptic. If you have microfauna on your live rock, it will be fine for now. This is a fish that really does need a place to hide. Not sure if it is a bare bones qt or not, but my experience was the more rock the better. I would not worry about seeing it eat for now.

I will try salmon belly, the fatty part of a salmon fish. You can get it from Market Basket that sold as Salmon bits. Soak the salmon in freshwater to remove phosphate that commonly used to treat fish meat in supermarkets, Chop it into fine pieces.

Back