female mccoskers flasher

zeal

Non-member
hey i have set up a 60 gallon cube that i set up just before xmas and have 2 damsels and 4 bw ocellaris clowns in it. i know i probably taking this a little fast but i have a male mccoskers flasher in my bio cube because i dont want to rush it any more then i already have i would like to next month add the male to the big tank and i was woundering if any one know if its hard to get females and if there is anything special i have to do when adding them.

It just takes looking, and patience.

I would wait to add the male to the 60 until you find the other one you are looking for, then add them together. It would likely work out anyway I would think, but the odds of a smooth introduction will increase if both are added to the new tank together.

I got a entire harem of Mccosker's last year before the great ich distaster and subsequent move. I got my initial batch from Aqua Addicts as Patrick ordered them for me. Those were the best ones I got. Tropic Isle usually stocks them and that is probably the most consistent place to get females. There are a few online places, notably Bluezoo and Reefhotspot. Skipton's sometime gets them in as well and usually puts them together into groups.

Whenever I build a setup with a closed top these are going to be my main goal for fish. My male was flashing all the time to the females and was very very cool and out in the open constantly. Sadly I like open top too much for coral and I am not going to put these into a FOWLR so it might be a long while.

They are very cool. I would maybe try 4 with a super male and 3 females. You could also add a submale, but that might be a little riskier. The closed top is a 100% must. I lost a few to jumping and they found any little spot to jump out of.

The rest did not like the hypo salinity I did to cure my ick problem. You really have to put a little bit of thought into getting these guys and be willing to risk the ick issue because copper is a bad idea as well. Try fresh water dips.

Back