fish dead possible tank infection

Chrisfragger

Non-member
So i set up my 29 gallon biocube about a month and a half ago got it all set up and running bought some live rock from a buddy and took some of his water to speed up the process a little i got all my levels right then put a pair of clowns in the tank
Recently the piece that attaches to the return pump line thats in the display tank fell off and started pushing my sand alot
My question is could that have killed my fish and could it have cause a release of a bunch of bacteria at onxe and also i noticed i have kinda likeworm like brown things growing in my sand bed no some of them are on the glass to kinda look like daddy long legs growing from my sand
Can anyone help me out a little what should i do to get my tank bac to normal

It is definitely possible that the sand being pushed around could have caused an ammonia spike. I am not sure of the stuff in the sand though. A picture maybe?

Any pictures of the "daddy long legs" I would be surprised if it was the sand. From my understanding the concern of toxicity often from the release of hydrogen sulfide bubbles and such from sand is in deep sand beds of very well established tanks not typically a tank that is only 1month and a half old. I have had tanks that cycled completely in about 3 weeks and others that seemed to undergo a few cycles for reasons I am unsure of and lasted almost 2 months until ammonia nitrite and nitrate were all at their respective acceptable parameters. Do you have any water parameter values like salinity, pH, ammonia, nitrite, nitrate or are there any electrical devices in your tank that may have corroded or are broken e.g. broken heater or exposed magnets (Jeremy told me he had an issue with a corroded heater that had him at his wit's end.)

String things sound like spagetti worms or what not I have a lot in my sand and I even notice food pellets will get caught up in their tentacle like things. Harmless. My tank is over 5 months old and one of my powerheads popped off and buried themself into th sand while I was at work making a sand storm all day. No ill effects really.... Just spooked fish and a week long of dusting off rocks....

Maybe, considering the stress of the tank being so new, the sand blasting spooked the fish and stressed it too much? Was it instant death syndrome or did it slowly weaken and die?

Back