Flow Meter

Chuck you should also be able to get them at Grainger
I generally prefer McMaster Carr (just bought half a dozen float switches from them actually) but Grainger has stores locally that you can actually go in and see stuff. There's one somewhat near you in Everett actually.

Thanks guys, for the info ! The reason for the flowmeters is that I have one main pump that returns water from my sump to my tank, drives my skimmer, and also pumps water through my chiller. I have things adjusted with gate valves such that I am getting good flow into my tank, good flow through the skimmer and, not so sure about the flow through the chiller. So I want to monitor the flow through the chiller so that I can optimize the flow through it (1.5" pipe). I also want to monitor flow through the skimmer as well, just to be sure that the flow is optimum (1" pipe).

I could probably disconnect the outputs from the skimmer and the chiller and measure how long it takes to fill a gallon jug and calculate the GPH but I would rather use a flowmeter.

Chuck,

Flow meters are expensive if you are looking for electronic transducer type and most of the non-electronic types can not measure flow rates as high as we typically have in our 1-2 inch pipe sizes. One of the less expensive types is the paddle wheel that puts out a pluse for each revolution thus measuring the fluid velocity, coupled with some basic flow equations and you have a flow meter. Good engineering project for you Chuck.

Jim

Chuck,

A few additional points on using flow meters:
  • There are several different types, which vary in their invasiveness, cost, accuracy, etc. Being able to shop in person will be a huge benefit, especially if there is a knowledgeable clerk on hand.
  • Flow meters tend to be expensive.
  • Flow meters are often constructed of brass or stainless steel fittings which are ubsuitable for reef usage. Be sure to check the internal workings and whether the flow meter is suited for corrosive usage.
  • A magnetic flow meter would be nice as it is completely uninvasive, but is probably prohibitively expensive.
  • Finding flow meters for low flow, small diameter situations is often difficult. I think rotameters are the most common kind
As an additional aside, you could actually make your own flow meter for very cheap. All you need to do is construct a Venturi and insert it inline. The Venturi could be made of plastic with glass riser tubes, so there are no moving parts and no susceptible metal parts. Your flow may not be sifficient for the Venturi to measure, though,

Matt:cool:

Yeah, expensive and corrosive.....ah well, I guess I will use the good ole cheap, manual method. I will just measure the time it takes to fill 1 gallon from the output of my protein skimmer. This will be easy since it has a dedicated drain in my sump and I really do not need high accuracy....just a general idea of the flow rate.

Now for my chiller....hmmm...this will be a challenge since the chilller drains into a 3" drain pipe along with the water draining from my tank into the sump. Well, here I can measure flow into my tank, and assume that since my tank is not overflowing, the drain flow rate = the fill flow rate. Then I can measure the combination of the drain-rate of the two since they both drain into my sump. Subtracting the tank flow rate, which I will ahve already measured, from this combination drain rate should be a good estimate for the flow rate throuhg my chiller....and I don't even need to disconnect anything !

Chuck,

That is actually the best way to measure flow for your purposes. I didn't want to suggest it because I thought you would have done it if possible, but it looks like you cleverly thought of a way to get it to work.

Matt:cool:

Back