fragging advice on a Blasto Wellsi

steevareno

BRS Member
I have a sweet red with green mouth blasto wellsi that has grown into about 20 polyps heads. I'm not sure if they are good at fragging. Also, i don't know how. Anyone with experience with these? Thanks in advance...

i would always score the back with a dremel and use a flat head to split it. Just figure out what cuts you want to make cut thru about 1/2 of the hard coral and split. its easy

I'd get a sharp chivel and use a hammer and give it a good wack where you want to frag it.

BTW I'll take a frag. ;)

tile saws or band saws work extremely well but if not then score back with a razor and dremel it up. Ive found that blasto wellsi usually receed back after being chopped up but will regrow. just watch out for brown jelly.

Yes, definately give them a quick iodine bath after fragging. I do this with just about every lps I frag to help prevent brown jelly.

I would use a rotary tool/dremel with a cut off /separation discs cutting along the edge of the heads, both the top and the bottom of the colony.PVH and I sliced out some acans and micros that way. So far no problem. I didn't dip after cutting, but may be I will do that from now on.

steve, I just fragged my acan echinata colony...it was way too big....scored the flesh with a sharp new razor and cut thru it with a sharpened flat edge screwdriver and hammer. Dipped for 15-20min in a betadine solution and back into the same area it came from to heal. Should be the same process for your blastos....and bye the way...I'm in the market for wellsi frags when you got some...let me know if you need help fragging

Back