gasket placement on bulkhead

Triggerfish

Non-member
rubber gasket inside or outside of sump?.. i have the female end of bulkhead on outside of tank with the gasket.. i'm starting to wonder if this is ok..it's not leaking now,,but not sure once pump is turned on

bulkhead is installed how it is positioned below except the nut is backwards in pic....thx

Attachments

• 100_1558.jpg
    100_1558.jpg
    88.5 KB · Views: 159
Gasket always on the wet side. You want the water pressure to help the gasket make the seal, not work against it.

yeah,,i'm not sure why i was thinking something different.. as i started to fill the output to check for leaks..i started giving it some thought..thx

edit... just moved it to the inside..pretty tight and it was leaking.. any ideas?

Last edited:
Not to argue, but the gasket goes on the flange side, however the bulkhead is installed.

Normally the flange side should be the wet side, but there are instances where it can be the other way around (if the threads are on the inside it will be a major PITA to remove the bulkhead once ca, tube worms and other hard deposits form on the threads)

If the bulkhead were installed with the nut on the wet side, and the gasket against the nut, there is a possibility/likelihood that water will seep through the threads and create a slow leak.

I would not reccomend putting the nut side inside the tank under normal circumstances - but there may be the exception.

*Personal exp; I installed the bulkheads with the nuts inside the overflows on my 120 because that made it a lot easier to place the tank on the stand with the bulkheads installed. This will make for a PITA if I ever need to remove or replace the bulkheads, but that's how I did it. In this example, the gaskets need to be outside the tank, against the flange. If I ever try to remove these bulkheads I will most likely need to shut down the retrun pump for several hours and soak the inside of the overflows in vinegar to free the threads.*

I don't mean to split hairs here, but if your (for some strange reason, like mine) going to install the bulkheads backwards - the gaskets go on the flange side.............

wish i figured this out prior to plumbing the thing in.. was under the impression it didnt matter which side was out..it seemed easier to plumb it this way..having a tuff time getting the nut off now against the gasket.. hope im turning it the right way..hahaha.

i'll try with the gasket on the outside against the flange and see wtf happens.
thanks man..

Like I said, having the nut inside is possible, but a PITA.

If you aren't able to get it loose (because it's probally so hard to get a hold of), I have a socket that will fit the nut on a 1" bulkhead (connect a bunch of extensions then a ratchet to hold it while you gently work it loose.)

let me know if you want a hand.

jk

You cannot put the gasket on the nut side of the bulkhead. The gasket makes a seal with the flange and the glass. If it is on the nut side water WILL migrate along the threads.

Just remember "leftie loosie - righty tighty", and hold your head so your looking at it while you say it:)

The gasket may make it a bit sticky, but you shouldn't have major problems getting the nut off. What I was talking about before was more referring to after it's been installed for a couple of years or so.

ok,,got it loose.. put the gasket back on the outside and looks like it's good to go.. i know some folks silicone the bulkhead,,but doesnt look like it would be needed unless it leaks when the pump fires up..

cant wait to get this thing going...thanks again.

I've never siliconed my bulkheads, but I'm sure it's not a bad idea.

I sometimes see SLIGHT salt creep near bulkheads, it's never been an issue.

Back