Great write up on Phosphates in our fish food... cited info...

pallobi

Neal
OK, so this info is completey written and quoted from Randy Holmes Farley from an RC thread concerning phosphates in our fish foods... I can NOT take any credit for any of the following information as it was entirely cited from a post by Randy...

However i thought it could be very helpful, as well as insightful, to those who have not read it, or may not be familiar with this info, as i wasnt myself...

the original question was "which foods has the lowest Phosphates", or something to that effect...

the following is completely an exerpt from a post on RC by Randy Holmes Farley...

You don't want the lowest phosphate, because that will cripple its ability to be a good food source of protein, for example. All natural sources of protein contain substantial phosphate. One thing to avoid are foods made with bones (like whole fish), as those have a lot of phosphate in them

here's a copy and paste from another post I made:

All foods contain substantial phosphate, but unless they have added phosphate (like some fresh, canned and frozen seafoods for people do), I am not certain that any particular type of food has more phosphate relative to other nutrients like protein than do other types.

Phosphate is an integral part of many tissues, not just a preservative. It is a part of proteins, phospholipids, DNA, RNA, etc. There is no getting around that. So anything that contains fish, seaweed, clams, etc is going to contain phosphorous. And the higher the protein, the higher the phosphorous is going to be, typically.

Fresh, canned and frozen seafood from the grocery store does often have phosphate added to retain moisture in the food. So be careful of that.

You might want to avoid anything with bones in it as they are very high in phosphorus. So fish meal as an ingredient might be something to avoid.

Ron Shimek analyzes some foods here;

http://web.archive.org/web/200107200...data/foods.asp

From it I calculated the phosphorus to protein ratio, and get:

Formula Two...........................176
Formula One.............................69
Frozen Brine Shrimp................232
Frozen Plankton/Krill...............182
Golden Pearls..........................273
Lancefish.................................244
Nori..........................................221
Plankton Gold Flakes...............169
Prime Reef.................................69