Help with an AQUA C protein skimmer

gobie1313

BRS Member
Can it get clogged? This is such a simple device. It just stopped working. My pump cycling the water to the protein skimmer is still working, but no flow is going thru the protein skimmer. I dose 2 part in the sump where the skimmer is, can calcium build up and clog it?
It so hard to get the damn thing out from the sump which under my tank.
I dont think i have a choice. Should i just flush it with vinegar?

What model? I know the Remora's have a screw you remove so you can clean the nozzle, mine has clogged before.

I run a 180. I've rarely had problems but there have been a couple of occasions where clogs have developed. The most likely problem is the air injector. It can get salt build-up. Unscrew that puppy and flush it out. Make sure it is teflon taped when you pout it back in. It is also possible but less likley that the air valve itself can get similalrly clogged. You can also unscrew that, flush, re-tape and re-install. Lastly is the pump itself. My Mag 9.5 once swallowed a couple small pieces of plastic that had broken off some eggcrate in the sump. It was still pumping water but it's output was obviously reduced. Are you using the gatevalve?

I have the ev 180 too. Definetly not the pump i flushed that out with vinegar for an hour. I want to make sure i understand what your saying..There is the opening that i put the output tubing into. That unscrews?
Then there is another nob on top which has nothing going into it that you can flip up and down like a switch. Which one is more likley the culprit?

Aqua C protein skimmer

I have gotten a piece of something caught in the air valve (fitting with the lever), I would check this and the spray injector (fitting pump connects to) both fittings unscrew.

Yea, ^ what he said.

So water isn't even going into the skimmer, or is it just not pulling air? I'd assume that if water isn't even going in, the injector is probabaly clogged.

Both the injector and air intake valve get clogged.

Post some detailed info about the setup of the skimmer and if possible a picture to help troubleshoot.

the knob that works like a switch is most likely the air valve make sure it is open. This valve needs to be rinsed out every so often as it get salt creep built up.

What is the setup as far as water returning to the system?

Last edited:
mag 9 is the pump that pushes the water through. I checked the air valve( that was uneasy to screw) that was clear. I'm going to try to unscrew the injector. Seems like its in there pretty tight.

Wait for Greg's input on taking that apart if your not sure. He knows that skimmer well :)

yea gobie... if you've taken the air valve out and cleaned it (the thing with the 'switch') then the injector should be cleaned. It may be tight but it will unscrew. That is the most common place for a blockage. Do you use the gatevalve? That's the big output fitting with the red knob.

I'm going to try to tackle that hex nut this a.m. I dont think I use a gate valve.

I think i do have a gate valve, it has a red turn style handle.(sorry not technically savy)

I got that hex nut off. Holy cow!! Clogged solid with all types of crap.
Thanks for your help. I'll put it back together and pray it works.

Glad to hear it was a clog, should be good now. Watch it carefully, if you tuned it when it was
clogged it could kick into over drive.

Back