Hi everyone Brand new to Hobby

badlands25

Non-member
Recently set up 75 gal salt water with 100lbs LR and 30lbs LS. With the rock and sand came a bulbtip anenome and 11 damsels. Running a red sea prizm pro protein skimmer and c360 marineland can filter. Ammonia is between .25 and .50 and nitrates are about 40ppm. I really don't want damsels but they are probably helping my tank? Do I wait for ammonia to be 0 before I can add the fish that I want? What is the range that I want for Nitrates? I plan on bringing the damsels to the pet store or feeding them to the Dwarf Zebra Lionfish that I want to get for my tank:)

Welcome to BRS!!

Ideally you want both of those at zero! You should wait before adding anymore livestock. Are you using RO/DI water? Everyone in the hobby will tell you patience is key!! Some say ditch the can filter it can become a nitrate factory!!

You want both Ammonia & Nitrates to be 0 before you add any fish. The damsels are "helping" cycle your tank but you can do the same thing with some cocktail shrimp and a bunch of hermit crabs. I would just take them out now and wait it out if you don't want them because it's going to a pain in the *** to get rid of them.

Back