Hi folks!

nanoman

Non-member
Newbie in NE CT. I am putting together a 14 gallon BioCube. So far: live sand, salt water, temp. at 78 degrees and about 10 lbs. of previously cured live rock. Just waiting to cycle up. Reef critters in about a week. Any advice is cool. Looking to do some frags (zoa's, etc.) in the nano. Thx, nanoman.

Welcome to the club! Only advice I can offer to start is GO SLOW! Patience is key in this hobby, especially with a nano.

Enjoy your stay here. This club is awesome.

WelcomeBRS5.jpg

How long has the tank been up & running?

Aiptasia. Very bad. You need to kill them asap or they will spread rapidly. If your just starting out your cycle, I would take any rock out that has aiptasia on it and dry it out and use new rock. You have quite a few there and may have trouble killing them all.

You can use joes juice, Aiptasia-X or kalk paste to kill them.

Yes, eradicate these!! Sounds like your going to need some more time before adding critters, maybe post your parameters along the way.

aiptasia infestation

Can peppermint shrimp eliminate it? or should I just toss the rock and start over?

Don't let it get you down Nanoman. You will have many frustrating times in this hobby but it truely is an addiction. lol. You are lucky that you are at the beginning of starting your tank, so you can pull out rocks and put new ones in.

I had aiptasia in my old tank. I battled them for over a year. everytime I used joes juice and thought I had killed them, they came back. I know the joes juice worked, because the ones I killed didn't come back. But Aiptasia can spread rapidly and there may be unnoticed ones under rock or elsewhere and they spread again.

Peppermint shrimp are hit or miss. A group of them may take care of them but not big ones. I put 6 in my old 46 bow and they took care of my aiptasia. But they can also attack corals.

you could try diping the rock in fw i dont know if that will kill the rock instantly but its worth a shot. just take a bucket of RO water and dip the rock in it for a few seconds and see what happens.

I use to have allot of them called rock anemone they never did anything to my coral one or two its ok like the one in that small rock you can leave by it self in a corner and they get very nice i had a big one and it was beautiful i had it all by her self in a corner of the tank and she did good and didn't kill or bother anything

Some products out there don't work quit well so it becomes a waste of money. Now on the other hand yo can try peppermint shrimp or a nice coperband butterfly but keep in mind that the coperband is not reef safe,or you can spray them with kalkwasser. Also there is a kind of nudibranch that would eat them, I don't remember the kind right now but as soon as I remember I'll post you and don't feel bad bro bcause I have the same problem in my thank and so far the kalkwasser haven't work bcause they keep coming back. Anyway try the advice that the other fellows give you and if that don't work try one of this.

Back