Home recipe for Magnesium?

jackie

Non-member
I finally tested for magnesium yesterday (last time 3 weeks ago) and it's pretty low, 1190. I heard epsom salts raises Mg, is this true? Or what do you use to dose? thanks!

Home-Made 2 Part

Jackie,

I've been using Farley's 2 (3?) part for nearly three months now, it works wonderfully.

64 oz. (large box) of epsom salts to a gallon of RO shake well to mix.

For your tank, 50 gal. if I remember right, I'd add like a 1/4 cup of the solution wait a bit and test to see what it goes up to and then go from their based on the measurement.

As an observation, for whatever its worth, I recall you use B-IONIC and your coraline was a very dark purple, mine on the other hand is lavender ;-)

Iris likes it (the color that is) .. and its cheap to make and as easy as B-IONIC so...

Regards
Noel

I went out and bought some Epsom salts today and will give it a try tonight, and mix up the other 2 parts over the weekend. I know there will be a cost savings there, but does Dowflake come in something smaller than 50#??? Hmm, I wonder why there's a difference in coraline from dark purple to lavender?

Anyway, thank you Noel, say 'hi' to Iris and good luck with the plumbing!!!

If you're interested, you can do a search on RC, a long, long time ago I had come up with a recipe for a Magnesium and Calcium boost together that maintained the proper chloride to sulfate ratio.

Matt:cool:

Jackie I will split a bag with you or take more or less depending on what you want.
In fact I have some I could spare until they hit the shelves

Jackie,

If you are running a calclum reactor you can mix in a little dolomite for a Mg boost.

hth,

Joe

Matt L. said:
If you're interested, you can do a search on RC, a long, long time ago I had come up with a recipe for a Magnesium and Calcium boost together that maintained the proper chloride to sulfate ratio.

You do??? Would you happen to have a year/month/day/time you posted??? :D I'm very interested, thanks Matt!

scavdog said:
Jackie,

If you are running a calclum reactor you can mix in a little dolomite for a Mg boost.

hth,

Joe
Sadly, I don't have one. I thought about getting one some day, but they seem a little complicated to run but I'd catch on eventually. You can tell I've been taking 'baby steps' in this hobby.........Thanks Joe I'll remember that:)

scavdog said:
Jackie,

hth,

Joe
Joe,

From what I have read, you actually can not do that because the reaction favorability between the two is very different! You'd have to check with Dr. Randy to be sure. It won't cause a disaster, but if one reaction is more favorable than the other, the more favorable one will pretty much happen exclusively until the reactant is exhausted,

jciwlsn said:
You do??? Would you happen to have a year/month/day/time you posted??? :D I'm very interested, thanks Matt!
Jackie,

Check my old username (Matt-Davis Sq.) and the Reef Chemistry forum. It would be from at least a year ago or so. Try keywords such as clacium, magnesium, sulfate, and chloride.

Let me know if you can or can not find it,

Ray said:
Jackie I will split a bag with you or take more or less depending on what you want.
In fact I have some I could spare until they hit the shelves
Thanks Ray, sorry I didn't see your post! I'm always in too much of a hurry. Where should I meet you, maybe sometime this weekend? And I'll pay you for half.

Matt, I'm sure I"ll find it, thank you!

Last edited:
Dowflake

You can order it online, its really dirt cheap but the shipping will kill your wallet, that said, I bought a 100 lbs. and it was still cheaper with the shipping than a 5 gal batch of B-IONIC 2 part would cost me.

I know you don't need that much so you could look into hooking up with a couple others and sharing the cost.

And finally, you can use PelaDow, it's easier to find than DowFlake. You just reduce the amount to 400 gm. per gallon. Or you can use something like Kent's TurboCalcium, but at that point your into not saving much $$$.

And the thing is that the measurements don't need to be that accurate either, after all, your dosing and measuring .. if the concentration varies or your usage increases/decreases you just variy the amount you add.

I use Kangaroo feeding pumps to dose with, very accurate and the system is very stable day to day .. I just tweak it up as demand increases.

Regards
Noel

P.S. Iris sez howdy!!

Okay, just in case anyone else wants to know, here is the post on RC where I present my home made recipe on raising calcium and alkalinity in Tropic Marin salt while maintaining the proper sulfate to chloride ratio. The thread is from June 9, 2003.

Also, here is an article by Dr. Randy that details the problems of using dolomite in your calcium reactor, which is a different problem then the one I was thinking of, but oh well...

Back