I don't think I can resist!!

this is me

I like turtles
BRS Member
A fish store in the west coast just sent me a video of these juvenile red sea regal angels asking me if I want the trio. They're eating very well.
This is very very hard to resist!
original.jpg

Last edited:
Omg....wow! Awesome tank! Love the scape and the way your corals have grown in. Fish are out of this world. So many questions....how often do you feed to keep those anthias? How do you keep the back wall so clean? How many gallons and what are the dimensions of the tank? And...when are we trading sticks??

Omg....wow! Awesome tank! Love the scape and the way your corals have grown in. Fish are out of this world. So many questions....how often do you feed to keep those anthias? How do you keep the back wall so clean? How many gallons and what are the dimensions of the tank? And...when are we trading sticks??
Thanks. My tank build is here with info on tank dimension and set up. Swing by anytime you want. I also want to check out your system.
http://www.bostonreefers.org/forums/showthread.php?141598-Nick-s-Reef&highlight=elos+160XL
My rock work does not touch the glass on any side. I left at least 4" of space between the closest rock to the glass. This way I can get my magnet scraper. Coraline are great but it does not belong not the glass. :)
I've been feeding my fish more often since the red sea regal acquisition. I feed them nori morning and night and for their main meal I mixed a piece of Hiraki mysis, spirulina brine shrimp, and LRS reef frenzy. Occasionally I dropped some pellets and flake(Forumla 1, Formula 2, NLS pellets, Omega 1 pellets and flakes) here and there so that they're not totally dependent on frozen food. By doing this, in addition to getting a wide variety of food in their diet, it allows me to auto-feed when I'm on vacation. I've left the tank unattended for 2 weeks without any issue before.
Yes, my tank is probably high nutrient. But I stopped chasing the ULS awhile ago. I find that while you can keep SPS colors under ULS, LPS will suffer. So to me, having darker SPS with pooffy LPS is more preferable.

Yes, my tank is probably high nutrient. But I stopped chasing the ULS awhile ago. I find that while you can keep SPS colors under ULS, LPS will suffer. So to me, having darker SPS with pooffy LPS is more preferable.

^^ yep yep yep!

I feed my tank 5-7 times a day; flakes, mysis, brine, nori, fish eggs, oyster feast, Rods, occasionally LRS (although my fish don't seem to care much about LRS -- seem to break out into ich every other time I feed LRS without fail), phytoplankton, and live Black Worms. I do have 2 oversized skimmers on the system, but last time I checked my nitrates, I wanted to throw away the test kit :D

Anyway, all that being said, all my corals are loving it! Strong vibrant colors, great polyp extension, etc etc etc. I think ULS is too hard to maintain, and probably good if you want more pastel colors vs strong colors. Almost all of my australian acros have transitioned from their initial pale colors to strong vibrant colors in my tank.

Once I get the fish room going, I'll add a fridge in there to keep the food and I'll be able to store stuff like live black worms. I asked my wife when you did the group buy on the black worm to allow me to store the live black worm in the fridge and she just gave me the look that's enough to make me shut up.
I've also getting live mussels and clams from the beach like these and fed them.
original.jpg

Once I get the fish room going, I'll add a fridge in there to keep the food and I'll be able to store stuff like live black worms. I asked my wife when you did the group buy on the black worm to allow me to store the live black worm in the fridge and she just gave me the look that's enough to make me shut up.
I've also getting live mussels and clams from the beach like these and fed them.
original.jpg
that mussel clip is neat! it doesn't fall off when the fish are tugging? I might try that too! All about feeding my fish a variety :)

Sent from my SM-G920T using Tapatalk

Awesome idea with the mussels. I couldn't agree more on ulns. Sps need nutrients for color and I never bought into that technique.

Edit: and I'll be in touch to figure out a good time to hook up.

Sent from my VS987 using Tapatalk

Do you do anything with the mussels prior to feeding? (rinse, freeze, etc) I have piles of them 5 minutes from my house.

I open them up and give it a rinse under the fosset and put it in the tank. Of course I inspect the mussel first to see if there's any obvious that shouldn't be in the tank.
I've also fed live steamer clam. All this because I want a fat and healthy regal angelfish.

Well, apparently the acclimation box "toppled" into the tank and two of the juvie regals got eaten by the bigger fish in the holding tank.
I guess I'll have to look further.

Well, apparently the acclimation box "toppled" into the tank and two of the juvie regals got eaten by the bigger fish in the holding tank.
I guess I'll have to look further.

You're kidding ...... how did the acclimation box "topple" ? Which one were you using??

Sorry to hear about the loss man ... both financial and fish wise ..

Archit,
Sorry I wasn't clear. The regals were lost at the holding tank at the seller. They never made to the plane to get to me. I asked the seller to hold the trio until I come back from the long weekend vaca since I was out of town. He told me I can have two regals with the juvie if I want for the same price. I turned it down since I already have a 5"+ in the tank and it will be war with a very bad outcome. I also do not think the tank can handle 3 adult regals(or any fish) in tank without taking the tangs out of the tank.

Back