I need to find my clown fish a buddy...

Intheflesh

Non-member
I had a pair of false perc clowns and one of them jumped. Since then, the other guy has been shy, hanging out in the corner of the tank by himself. I want to get him another friend. It is still pretty small, id guess about 1-3/4".

Unique Aquaria in woburn has a solo semi-picasso thats around the same size. I've been thinking of getting him. Any concerns about getting another clown?

Last edited:
If the clown that died was larger,this could have been the female.
You need to get a false perc. that is larger than the one you have now.
If you put two of the same sex together they will fight to see who becomes the female/male.
The one that wins generally becomes the female.Fights can sometimes lead to death.

Can he not also get a smaller one and the larger male will become the female? I did this with my oscellaris clowns when i had a jumper, and my bigger male became the female. The reason for doing this was because I let some time pass and was told that the single clown would turn female. Once this happens, introducing a larger one would create potential for two females which can indeed be fatal. Its my understanding that they can go from male to female, but not vice versa....I could be wrong, but it did work for me, as the small one I introduced got right in line...

Yes,a smaller false perc can be introduced into the tank.
I had to do this when my male went carpet diving a few years back.

That's OK. As long as the new one is significantly smaller it should work. If the one you still have is the male and you introduce another juvenille your existing male will become female and the new juv will be the new male.

Back