i think my serpent stars are mating

php1775

BRS Member
i acquired a lg red serpent star about 2 months ago,then got an equal size orange serpent star a week later.they were both in hiding for a week or two then were coming in full view in a large cave at the bottom of the tank,never paying much attention to each other and no aggressiveness.for the last 2 weeks or more they have been locked and intertwined with each other in a peaceful way and move together and do not try to get away from each other.could this be mating? DSC00054.jpg in this photo i turned on the lights and they untangled a bit and are retreating back into the cave where they will again lock together

Last edited:
they have been locked together for almost a month now,please if anyone has any knowledge of serpent star mating i would appreciate some advice.tried various searches but didnt come up with much helpful info .they are in plain view in their cave with the help of a flashlight.i always use a turkey baster to make sure that they are getting food.i just want to preserve as many of their fry as possible if they are indeed mating --thanks

my serpents have finally unlocked with each other after almost 6 weeks ,and have gone seperate ways in my tank.i only hope that they were in fact mating and released eggs in my tank.i have a couple of lg hagen hang on filters with sponge blocks that i have rinsed in a 14 gal nano filled with coarse rubble along with the sponge filters in my 2 overflow compartments ,in hopes that there were eggs collected in them .keep you posted

Back