ID Please - I think Aptasia. How do I remove properly?

jimrawr

Non-member
Ok, I have two things I need identified. The first picture I have no idea what it is. It has never moved since I added the LR. The rest of the pictures I think are Aptasia. There are about 4 of these all embedded into this one rock, and I want to know how to get rid of it. I havent done my aquascaping yet, so the rock can easily come out. Can I just pluck them out with tweezers? Im not sure if I will be able to though since they are IN the rock. Maybe just sprinkle wash the whole rock with white vinegar and then rinse with RO water?

Here are the pictures.

1.jpg

3.jpg

4.jpg

5.jpg

you can try to pluck them but it usually doesnt help they continue to come back best bet is natural defense get some peppermints or certain fish depending on what corals you are planning on keeping

Also what im thinking of trying is first plucking them, then spraying a little white vinegar on the areas where they were, then pouring some boiling RO water on the same spots.. I think that should do the trick, no?

well, i erraticated aptasia from my old 20 gallon this way:

youl need a plastic syringe, like the ones from the salifert test kits.

first, boil some water and place it in a cup, then fill the syringe up all the ways with the boiling water, poke the aptasia and immediatly push the boiling water into it. do it a couple times in the same spot to make shure you killed it.

thats what worked for me...

how many do you have? if you only have a few i would remove the rock with them on it. Or just get a CBB

There are 3 or 4 of them on one rock. What is CBB?

I dont really want to remove the rock because its a pretty nice rock with good coraline

the first pic I am not sure loooks like it could be a bivalve of some kind but the coraline rock is def. aptasia

And here is another picture of the aipastia (or whatever it is). I tried to get a picture of the mouth

9.jpg

As an aiptasia farmer, I can tell you they definitely are aiptasia......

My kill method is to make a slurry of water and Kalkwasser to make a paste and use a syringe to directly inject it into the anemones. Then put some more on top of it. The extreme pH of the kalk paste will kill the aiptasia.

If you only have 3 may I suggest a kalkwasser paste followed by a marine epoxy grave. Cover those suckers over, bury them!

Back