Ideas for Affordable and EASY Kalkwasser

TheBigDrewsky

BRS Member
Clearly In a posting mood today -

Seems like I am going to have to bite the bullet to raise my pH. A CO2 scrubber does well for a week and then a media change - that becomes financially budrsonesome soon - and yes - it’s even recirculated.

So Kalkwasser may be my next best choice

So looking for some advice - even links to you tube or whatever for some easy to do kalk equipment and instructions. So any ideas for affordable but easy to do equipment? Brand and equipment names?

I have a Red Sea 550 S2+ - DT is 105 gal and approx 40 g in the sump. There isn’t a whole heck of a lot of cabinet space and would prefer not doing anything next to the tank (unless hidden in a stand). In the basement below we have our water station - DOS for AWC, ATO system.

Look forward to some EASY and affordable ideas from experienced members -

Thanks!

Andrew

I use brs kalkwasser, just buy the biggest one they have. It will last for a long time. 3 ways to use kalk.

1) mix in a separate container dose via dosing pump. If u have an apex u can use it to control your ph with kalk by setting a minimum and max ph set point
2) put it in your top off(i dont like this method because u dont have complete control of how much u dose)
3) kalk stirrer

Either way, first u need to get your alk and calcium level to where u want and their consumption then dose kalk to maintain them at that level and at the same time get your ph boost. In your case just dose until u get to your desired ph level but u still need to watch your alk and calcium level. Just make sure that your ph probe is properly calibrated.

I spread my dosage out over 24 hours. Some only dose when light is off to keep the ph more stable.
Keep in mind that to get the increase from the dosing calculator in the thread above you have to dose eveything in one shot. Since you will spread out your dose throughout the day, expect to dose much much more. The 1.25% is a good starting point and slowly increase after each week

My way of dosing kalkwasser is easy, as I dose 30 gallon of saturated Kalkwasser every day for all my systems.
I have a 10 gallon brute can, fill it with fresh water, then a cup (more or less) of Kalkwasser drops in, stir with a stick, let it settle for 15 to 30 minutes, take the clear liquid and pour in my systems, 1 gallon a time to the two large SPS systems.
For the LPS system, I pour the saturated Kalkwasser into a 5 gallon bucket and use a BRS 1.1 mL dosing pump to meter it in.
When the clear liquid in the 10g can is 80% gone, I fill it up with freshwater, repeat.
I test the pH of the Kalkwasser liquid, if it drops below 10, add more powder Kalkwasser.
Every week I toss all the solid at the bottom of the 10g can and rinse it, then repeat.

The easiest way to dose Kalkwasser is to use a 5 gallon bucket with a BRS 1.1 mL doser,
Fill the bucket with fresh water, add a cup of Kalkwasser powder, stir, seat and plug in to doser.
You can calculate how much water evaporates every day and use a timer for the doser to match the evaporation volume.
When the bucket is 80% gone, stop the doser, add freshwater, stir, sit and repeat.

The easiest way to raise pH is pulling in outside air through your skimmer. One time, set and forget.

Outside air works great especially in winter.
A inexpensive carbon dioxide meter will also be a good investment. Carbon dioxide level can be surprisingly high indoor.
When I am cooking upstairs in the kitchen, carbon dioxide level can jump from 440 ppm to over 500 ppm in the basement, even I have outside air exchange in winter.

I use a 5-gallon bucket that I have drilled a push connect fitting through the top. I have 1/4" tubing that connects to the DOS to deliver a set amount daily to my tank. I use brs lab grade kalk (7/8 tbs) that I mix and pour in with RODI. My Ph is between 8.0-8.25 during the day.

Maybe someday Ill change out to an acrylic container

I use a 5-gallon bucket that I have drilled a push connect fitting through the top. I have 1/4" tubing that connects to the DOS to deliver a set amount daily to my tank. I use brs lab grade kalk (7/8 tbs) that I mix and pour in with RODI. My Ph is between 8.0-8.25 during the day.

Maybe someday Ill change out to an acrylic container
I am doing this same method although I am dosing with a Kemoar doser 24/7.
The problem that I am having is that I don't have much cal/alk uptake as my take is relatively empty (long story) but my alk is going down. and pH is topping out around 8.1. My kalk is about a year old. BRS Pharma kalk. To my knowledge, kalk should help with Cal/alk and ph. Am I doing something wrong? Would anyone have any suggestions?

I am doing this same method although I am dosing with a Kemoar doser 24/7.
The problem that I am having is that I don't have much cal/alk uptake as my take is relatively empty (long story) but my alk is going down. and pH is topping out around 8.1. My kalk is about a year old. BRS Pharma kalk. To my knowledge, kalk should help with Cal/alk and ph. Am I doing something wrong? Would anyone have any suggestions?
How much r u dosing daily?

How much r u dosing daily?
Well, I haven't calibrated my kemoar in forever but, I have it set at 2ml/min which at basic math puts me at 2880 a day. Seems like a lot but 1lml/min wasn't raising ph much so I bumped it to 2ml/min. it is doing into my return section where I put a little sicce power head to create turbulence..

Back