Juuuuuust a bit to the North

SueAbu

Non-member
Hi all! I just found this forum and figured Boston might be as close to Maine as I can get for an organized group and the skinny on things more local to New England. I've gotten a lot of help from other forums like reef2reef, but seem a bit removed from Florida, Michigan and Cali.

So...... HI, I'm Sue! My first attempt at a reef tank was a 75 gallon, the remains of which I picked up off of Craigslist from someone in Gloucester who had their tank overcome with hair algae, during the beginnings of Covid. We got the Tank setup, sump, skimmer, accessory equipment, something I can never remember how to pronounce, a rock beauty, a watchman goby, a mushroom, a toadstool and a failing Duncan. I started adding corals to it based on the "great corals for the beginner" and the super price for 10 frags. What they actually meant was "for the SPS/ acro beginner", so I jumped right into the deep end. I acclimated them correctly, gave them weeks in the "shade" at the bottom. After 6-8 months they were doing pretty well and growing. I could never keep my parameters right, but also had a husband who liked to come home with fish. They started failing after a year, so I bought "real" lights, thinking that was the problem. It was never the same after. Finally, catastrophic failure when I went back to school and didn't dote on them like before.

Now we've moved, and I get to do-over. The fish and the remaining mushroom are in a 95 gallon tank. I'm just about done cycling a 29 gallon tank with a few hermits, snails and a baby watchman. The point to this build will be to "add what we like, not just what we find"... (3 clownfish can't live in the same tank... Surprise!) Minimal fish in the nano, maybe 1 more because hubby thinks the little guy is lonely. Focus is on the corals, on a small scale, so I can learn the right way, this time.

Fingers crossed! Wish us luck! Any and all advise is welcome and helpful!
Sue

M

1672875586498.gif

It's a little far from you but I assume you've visited Easy Aquariums in Westbrook?
Not yet, but we've heard of it. It's on "the list". How are the prices? I'm finding fantastic bargains at the area petcos (except topsham... Hmmm) because they hold on to the frags so long, they grow, but they're still $25-$35. Just got a HUGE candy cane and Kenya tree... and even bigger Xenia in Auburn.

Back