Keeping live rock alive

UMan101

Non-member
Hi,

I was wondering if you guys could tell me how to keep live rock alive in a bucket? My tank arrives 5 days after I get my live rock. So I'll need to keep them from dying. Per seller, They're large pieces with palys kenya trees gsp, have green hairy mushrooms and purple mushrooms.

Thanks!

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

Since it has corals, they will need to be kept in an actual tank with lighting. I would hold off on getting the live rock until after your tank is setup and running, if it all possible. If there was no corals, you could just keep them in buckets of saltwater with a small power head.

Sent from my XT1565 using Tapatalk

All the corals sound hardy. I don't think they would die within a week with no light, but if you have one then put it over them. Like Marshall O says, best to hold off on the corals of you can.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ahh got ya. Good input guys. Thanks! I'll hold off then until the tank at least arrives. Last thing I wanna do is have things die before I even start haha

As some of the others have said, the coral on the rock is hardy and will not die immediately, but it will recede slowly without light. When I was starting out I purchased live rock from someones sump (no light on rock for months), and weeks later I had a patch of rastas growing on it, but I digress... Although it is all beginner coral, it is best to hold off and not place in a a brand new uncycled tank. Thanks for your interest UMan!

lol. some of those will be hard to kill if you tried. As others said, but don't forget a heater. A bubbler (e.g. water movement) plus heater will keep them alive for 5 days, methinks.

Thanks again for the info everyone! Special thanks to zkilloy. Hoping the rocks are still available by the time the tank arrives :)

Back