Kinda sad day

Docstach

Non-member
Well, I am now fishless :( Gave away my last three tonight. Tank looks pretty empty without them, but this will allow my tank to sit for the 10 weeks+ to get rid of the ick. On the bright side, I think this will be a good time to upgrade to a little bit different set up later this spring. I think my internal refugium experiment went pretty well and I think I want to continue with something similar, but this time I will get a proper stand so I can also have a sump to house the protein skimmer. Also I think I will make the refugium side a little bigger to house a mantis. Not sure yet but i am thinking about either a standard 125g or a 75 with an attached ~18x18ish cube. Will be starting a thread fairly soon with some of the ideas I had.

Looking forward to it.
BTW, ich is always in the water and a healthy fish can fight it off. may be you can add a group of chromis.

Good to see you are taking advantage of the down time to make system modifications.

Looking forward to it.
BTW, ich is always in the water and a healthy fish can fight it off. may be you can add a group of chromis.

I'm sorry but this is wrong. 10+ weeks of going fallow and you will break the ich life cycle and it will be gone. They need a host to complete the cycle so without fish the ich will die off. With that said, (to dongs comment) it is very easy to reintroduce ich if you do not properly QT all "incomers", whatever that may be (sand, frags, fish etc).

During the fallow period, continue to feed the tank to keep things as normal as possible........and it is a great time to "tinker" which is always fun. Good Luck!

Been there done that. Feel your pain prob like 6 Months into this hobby I got a back case of ich from a fish I brought in that I did not qt. I was very new to the hobby at this point and by the time I saw symptoms and was debating what to do it wiped out all my fish in a matter of days.

It does sucks going without fish for two months plus but is worth it. Took me a while to get back to where I was with livestock before the ich but I'm happy to say I am almost fully stocked once again over a year later.

I killed the time by building a qt system and new corals for the dt as they are not affected by the ich good luck and know your are doing the right thing.

Sent from my Nexus S 4G using Tapatalk 2

I'm sorry but this is wrong. 10+ weeks of going fallow and you will break the ich life cycle and it will be gone. They need a host to complete the cycle so without fish the ich will die off. With that said, (to dongs comment) it is very easy to reintroduce ich if you do not properly QT all "incomers", whatever that may be (sand, frags, fish etc).

During the fallow period, continue to feed the tank to keep things as normal as possible........and it is a great time to "tinker" which is always fun. Good Luck!

+1^100000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000

Back