Large Live Rock Pieces

smpross

Non-member
Hey Guys,
I have a friend who is setting up a huge saltwater fish tank (700+ gallons). Where can he find or make large pieces of Live rock that will not affect the chemistry of the tank?

Suggestions...

Scott

marco rocks..i think B at Unique Aquaria has a few huge pieces..or liam took them all..jk

Thanks... Is it worth making your own wiht Concrete? I am sure that it would be much cheaper.

Any other advantages?

Scott

One advantage to making your own rock is the ability to scalp the rock work the way you want. You can create some really interesting shapes and attach pieces together after they are molded. I set up a 120 at my last house with the majority of the rock work being DIY. It was a fun part of the project.
I am sure that it would be much cheaper.

Unfortunately I am not sure the cost is that much cheaper nowadays. Since Southdown – Tropical play sand is no longer available. One of the major ingredients is aragonite sand. Aragonite sand is also required to make the forms. I must have used about 10 bags of southdown when I made my rocks. That’s not bad at less than 5 dollars a bag . But if you have to buy 10 bags at 30 – 40 dollars a bag it gets expensive. Then you add the cost of other ingredients.

The other disadvantage that you might not be aware of is the lengthy time it takes to cure DIY cement rock. Cement rock needs to be cured in fresh water until the cement no longer leaches out (Calcium Chloride?) or whatever it is that raises the PH of water. When fist placed in water it will raise the PH really high like 10 – 12. That will kill just about anything. It took about 4 months for my rock to cure outside in a kiddy pool. After that you still have to cure it in salt water just like any other live or dry rock.
It takes a lot of patience. This time around I am going to use Marco rock myself. Already ordered some Marco rock for the 120 tech . You can attach pieces of Marco rock and create some larger pieces also. If your still interested in DIY rock here a link to the recipe I used. Thiers links to other info and pictures.

http://home.comcast.net/~daves-reef/diy_liverock.htm

If you have any questions regarding DIY rock I be glad to help out.
Dave

marco rocks

marco rocks goes above and beyond - great guy to work with!

marcorocks.com

Hey Guys,
I have a friend who is setting up a huge saltwater fish tank (700+ gallons). Where can he find or make large pieces of Live rock that will not affect the chemistry of the tank?

Suggestions...

Scott

if you do get them from marco i work down cape and live in bridgewater i could pic them up and meet you. if you don't ship them 700gl thats a lot of tank to fill

Back