Lighting Help Please

mano1192

Desert reefin!
After reading on ReefCentral lighting guide FAQ, I am still confused. I have a 95G corner that is 24" high. I am having a hood made for it so i am looking into retro kits. After some research it looks like the the ICECAP ELECTRONIC ballast are the best for flexibility and efficiency which will allow me to use any bulb I want correct?

Now what watt do I need to be able to penetrate to the bottom of teh tank succesfully like if i wanted to keep a clam or 2 on the sand bed?

Whats the pros/cons between SE or DE?

Would you suggest 1 MH or 2 for my tank? (I think I will add supplemental T5 lighting for atinics also so is 2 neccesary?)

Thanks for the help in advance! :D

Any electronic ballast (ARO makes a nice one, as well as EVC, etc, Icecap is no longer the best IMO) will allow you a large amount of flexibility in SE bulbs. As far as DE/HQI bulbs, they really should be run on HQI ballasts.

ARO electronic ballasts(electronic=more efficient) are great and cheap I bought a retro setup from hellolights.com the price was great(on sale) and I'm very satisfied

As to SE vs DE, theres a lot of debate. But in general, the SEs have better PAR, and dont need a glass shield.

Not needing glass shielding with SE was the deciding factor for me. Not only does the sheilding steal PAR, but it also steals 2-3k of light temperature.

Not needing glass shielding with SE was the deciding factor for me. Not only does the sheilding steal PAR, but it also steals 2-3k of light temperature.

Really? Now without the sheild have you run into problems with salt creep into the fixtures and on the bulb?

Also should I look into a 400 or a 250?

Thanks again, this is helping alot :cool:

Last edited:
not at all. I have a some tiny salt specks on my Reef Optix I pendant, but that's it. I have it 9 inches above that water.

My inclination would be to use two MH on a 92 corner. That's a tough tank though, your best bet is finding someone who has/had one and ask them.

Anyone witha 90 corner can chime in? Also my tank is a little custom its not a corner bow like the typical corner tank, its all glass and no bow, straight corners, its pretty cool check it out:

Back