Looking for fair and objective help determining prices for tank breakdown corals

dedfish

That's Mr.Murphy to you!
I've been meaning to try and sell off the corals in my 70tech in order to break down the tank but every time I start thinking about it I quickly get overwhelmed with trying to figure out what things are worth. I haven't been paying attention to the hobby for quite a while and everything in my tank started as very small frags. I'm not looking to rake anyone over the coals but at the same time I'm not looking to be taken advantage of and give something away for a fraction of the cost only for that person to turn around and sell it for a large profit. What I'm seeking is someone with a good knowledge of the market to give me fair and objective help in determining prices for the corals I have to sell. I'd like the corals to go to people that will truly enjoy them. If anyone is willing to help I can send pictures. Please contact me via email or PM if your willing to help.

Thank you,
Jason

Will you be selling "pieces of the reef" as in a large piece of live rock with multiple types of corals in it or will you be breaking everything into frags or colonies of the same kinds of corals?

I've seen pics of your tank you have some great corals but I don't have enough knowledge to help with values.

Will you be selling "pieces of the reef" as in a large piece of live rock with multiple types of corals in it or will you be breaking everything into frags or colonies of the same kinds of corals?

Most likely selling corals as whole pieces. I'd rather not get into the hassle of trying to frag things and maximize my profits. I'd not doing this to make money, I'd just like to get the tank broken down sometime in the next 3 or 4 months. Some things may break when I try to remove them from the rock or try to move the rock they are on. I imagine I will have to move each piece to see what will easily be sold as a single coral and what is going to break/frag when moved.

I am not saying this to benefit off of your corals, but in my other forum (Manhattan Reefs) there is a section called DBTC (Don't break the chain) which was set up to help out new reefers, bring down the prices of corals and attempt to persuade people to buy from people's tanks instead of encouraging the harvesting of wild corals. I don't know if BR has something like this or if anyone including yourself would be interested in starting it, but if you are not looking to make money off of the corals and know people on this forum that you can trust to enjoy the corals in their tanks as opposed to just turn around and profit off of your generosity it could be a good idea.

I understand that you probably don't want to just give everything away (nor would I), but I was just thinking that you might be interested in selling like 3/4 at fair market value and then donating or selling the rest for cheap to new reefers to get their tank started or just friends on the forum in general. Just my 2 cents.

P.S. the tank in your sig looks good its a shame you have to break it down.

When you do get the values let me know about the mille thats in the middle.

I will, but I have at least 2 other people interested in that piece and I already told them I'd let them know. I'll add you to the list though.

I am not saying this to benefit off of your corals, but in my other forum (Manhattan Reefs) there is a section called DBTC (Don't break the chain) which was set up to help out new reefers, bring down the prices of corals and attempt to persuade people to buy from people's tanks instead of encouraging the harvesting of wild corals. I don't know if BR has something like this or if anyone including yourself would be interested in starting it, but if you are not looking to make money off of the corals and know people on this forum that you can trust to enjoy the corals in their tanks as opposed to just turn around and profit off of your generosity it could be a good idea.

I understand that you probably don't want to just give everything away (nor would I), but I was just thinking that you might be interested in selling like 3/4 at fair market value and then donating or selling the rest for cheap to new reefers to get their tank started or just friends on the forum in general. Just my 2 cents.

P.S. the tank in your sig looks good its a shame you have to break it down.

Well I've always thought that fair prices for Boston Reefers were less than the price that I would see if I walked into a retail store.

Well that's good to hear then! It's the same by me regarding prices, but people go farther and donate to the DBTC cause. Again, i was just giving me 2 cents and disregard it if you would like.

YOu can always compare what you have to other members threads for the same item - plus the BRS is going to be having its annual auction next month

Back