WTB Looking to buy some copepods in the Boston area

FastandCurious

Non-member
Hey guys,
I recently got a green mandarin a few weeks ago and although I had been dosing pods for a cpl of months prior it looks like he might of ate them already. I even ordered a 2 jars from algae barn right before I got him just to be safe. But I've been battling some GHA lat and as I was brushing it off the rocks I didn't realize a lot of the pods went flying off and all my fish ate them up like hotcakes. So, I'm looking for anywhere in the Boston area that might be selling some? My LFS isn't getting them for another 1-2 weeks and i noticed today my little guy is starting too look real skinny. And the last time I ordered from algae barn it took about 8-9days. I don't think he will make it that long. He is small. So if anyone knows where I can get some pods in the Boston area I would really appreciate it.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20210317-060111_Photos~2.jpg
    Screenshot_20210317-060111_Photos~2.jpg
    137.8 KB · Views: 214
I might have some decent amount worth your drive. I’m in Quincy. Let me check tonight and see if I can come up with a good quantity for your mandarin. I will let you know.

I have a 16 oz still available of copecods available I culture them and can have one or 2 16 oz every week. I sell 15$ per 16 oz Just pm if interested.I’m in Ashland, I also have a bottle of phytoplankton left, great to feed the zooplankton I sell 5$ for 16 oz.

Last edited:
Good luck finding them. I’m pretty far and don’t have too much of it. I need to supply my mandarin as well. But good luck. Definitely a good idea to get pods for that one. He looks really skinny. You should consider seeding your tank with pods about 5-6 months before getting one. Or at least a couple months. I recommend reef nutrition pods too. A culture of fuge would be the best way to have them reproduce. Good luck with your mandarin. My mandarin says good luck too below
45B304A2-2205-45B4-A942-A4E0086DDDCF.jpeg
55AB96A7-4583-4FCC-A46D-6E9C0713057F.jpeg

I might have some decent amount worth your drive. I’m in Quincy. Let me check tonight and see if I can come up with a good quantity for your mandarin. I will let you know.
Sorry, I just dont have enough pods worth your trip to Quincy.

Bit of a drive but I'm meeting other reefers at jays aquatics Saturday at 10, have pods and phyto available pm if interested in meeting up

Good luck finding them. I’m pretty far and don’t have too much of it. I need to supply my mandarin as well. But good luck. Definitely a good idea to get pods for that one. He looks really skinny. You should consider seeding your tank with pods about 5-6 months before getting one. Or at least a couple months. I recommend reef nutrition pods too. A culture of fuge would be the best way to have them reproduce. Good luck with your mandarin. My mandarin says good luck too belowView attachment 159330View attachment 159329
Thanks I ended up overnighting them. He was just very small when I got him. But I have been dosing pods every month since I started my tank bc I knew I wanted one. I just didn't realize how much he can go thru a day. But my end goal would be to get him on a diet of pods and frozen eventually. I have hope for this little guy. Yours looks good!

Do you harvest pods from your filter socks? I find there are tons of pods in there. I know it can cost a ton for them. I wasn’t gonna charge you, just wanted the mandarin to thrive. I love the mandarins. Good luck and happy reefing!

You should setup a pod culture. It’s super easy if you also grow phyto. I started mine and I can harvest crazy amount of pods. My tank is always loaded now from seeding so much plus I feed my tank phyto to help pods survive. Another option is white worm culture. Buying pods is expensive because your fish eat them too so mandarin gets what’s left. White worms are easier I’m waiting for my culture to take off now

You should setup a pod culture. It’s super easy if you also grow phyto. I started mine and I can harvest crazy amount of pods. My tank is always loaded now from seeding so much plus I feed my tank phyto to help pods survive. Another option is white worm culture. Buying pods is expensive because your fish eat them too so mandarin gets what’s left. White worms are easier I’m waiting for my culture to take off now
Is there a kit for this?

You can find most of the info online. These are the 2 articles I used to get started.

I only have a small setup but the process is still the same. This is my setup, the left is the phyto and the right bottle is the pods

Attachments

• IMG_1295.jpg
    IMG_1295.jpg
    161.3 KB · Views: 211
Back