Looking to get second opnion on these glass chips...

I have asked for solid reasons and fact as to "WHY" these cracks would fail. No one has been able to give me any. I would be taking a gamble on it holding off as I would on it failing as far as I see it.

For me, if the tank breaks with in the next year, they will replace it. And I have to deal with the aftermath... If it lasts longer, I won...

Please call me crazy!!! It's just my "thought process"... All that being said, I am not sure what exactly I will do...

Thanks so much guys
Higor

That tank is not right. The panels had to move, scrap against one another during shipping to get edge scallop chips to appear. So there is not 100% silicone between the edge of one panel to another, maybe only 75% in those places. When the panels moved to cause these chips where else is there not 100% adhersion of the siniclone between the panels. Are you gambling man? How many years do you plan on having this tank?
The manufacturer is going to try to get out of it the cheapest way, pay you off instead of building you a new tank. Do not accept that! They are not your ally, you'll be left holding the bag should something happen.

You don't want to deal with the aftermath. I dealt with insurance companies, appraisers and contractors for many months for a 15 gallon/$10,000 accident. It drove my downstairs neighbor and myself crazy.

Good luck with MA consumer protection laws. Civil laws often times have to be pushed and forced by the victim to be enforced. Good luck with that along with getting any money from an insurance company once they find out the failed tank was known to be faulty from the start by the user and manufacturer but filled and used anyways. Better lawyer up, the insurance company has!

PM me if you want to know the specifics about my little spill and what I went through.

Last edited:
60% off save you 1200 but if it fail on the bottom and dump all the water out then all your livestock is gone too.I'm sure you have more then that in your tank now.The headache the damage will cause if it fail imo is not worth it.You payed for a perfect tank,get a perfect tank.Remember that you have some strong current moving in there that are always pushing and putting pressure on the glass.I would go for the peace of mind and get another one

Thanks everybody for all your opinions and suggestions. I spent the last 4 days reading everything I could find on "clam shell" glass chips in aquariums/tanks on line and couldn't find one documented "tank failure" due to it.

I found lots of threads on the issue and a pretty much everyone says the same thing, "I wouldn't trust it"... Found some people stating that these "Clam Shell" shaped chips don't pose any threat or structural issues to the glass panel and they either had or knew people with these kinds of chips on their tanks for years with no issues. Everyone agrees that the chips do in some way weaken the glass (obviously), but it would be unlikely to cause a “catastrophic tank failure”.

If I had no options available to get a replacement, I would keep the tank. After all the reading I did on these kind of chips, I feel comfortable enough it wouldn’t be an issue. But since I do, I have decided to have Cadlights build me another one. This means another month or so of waiting(sigh)…but I guess I will survive.

I have to say that these past few days have been really stressful with the damaged tank and coming to this decision (it wasn’t easy at all!). Scott at Cadlights has been very understanding/accommodating of this “not so pleasant experience”.

At least this will give me time to finish some last minute details for this upgrade that I am still working on.

Thanks
Higor

There you go. Use the extra time in a positive way.

If there was someone saying you came to the wrong conclusion I would be amazed.

Good luck and keep us posted on your progress.

My advice would be to open and inspect before signing off on the carrier that delivered. Let them deal with the issue. It is always better to report a damage the second it is found and at what stage it was found.

Packer, shipper, delivery truck or owner handling.

Some companies like UPS would refuse a claim and state the item was not packaged to their specs or certified UPS packing materials were not used.

Been there and done that for the past 35yrs being in the business.

Trust me, I learned my lesson. I will tell Cadlights to triple pack this new tank and hopefully it will arrive intact. It’s not that they didn’t pack the first one well. I was surprised it was damaged at all after taking almost 10 minutes to unpack the stand and tank.

When it arrived I went inside to grab tools to take the crate apart and when I got back the FedEx guy had taken it apart himself with no tools at all. He just pulled the wooden crate apart. I wasn’t too happy, because he obviously forced the sides apart. For all I know the chips could have happened right there if any of the wood sides he “cracked open” had hit the tank or stand. Not sure why he did that, I was told by Cadlights they are not supposed to do that.

open_crate_zpsb58ab2d1.jpg

Another possibility could be that Cadlights shipped the stand in the same crate on top of the tank. Not sure why they would do that either. Now it will be just the tank, so I am hopeful nothing will happen.

This time I will be very explicit about the FedEx guy not touching the crate and let me take it apart. I am not even taking it out of the truck before I completely unpack it and check every inch of it.

It took almost 2 months to receive this tank, and now it's gonna be another 3 weeks. This new tank better be perfect or I will have a heart attack!

Last edited:
This is not my build thread... This was just for this particular issue with it.

Thanks
Higor

just curious, so they pay for shipping back or you have to pay for it?
After putting everything back into the crate, do you drop it off at Fedex shipping location or they come and pick it up?

Not paying to ship either tank.

Not sure how they will take the tank I have now back, but they said that I wouldn't have to worry about anything. I am assuming they are paying someone to come get the tank that's going back and ship it to them.

Higor

I know man, but it is what it is... At least it will give those frags to heal and make more babies for me!!! :)

Not sure how they will take the tank I have now back, but they said that I wouldn't have to worry about anything. I am assuming they are paying someone to come get the tank that's going back and ship it to them.

When no one comes to get it let me know and I'll swing by. I'll 'dispose' of it for you for free.

Back