Magnum 350 question

eSoteric

less fish = more corals
My boss gave me a freebie the other day. an older (but still seemingly functional) magnum 350. i put it on today to help polish the water a bit. i have a reef so running this filter all the time isnt really needed, i just did it to clean things up.

now its shooting out alot of dissolved oxygen. anyone got any ideas as to why? aqll seals seem tight. im running carbon.

and since i only use it from time to time to polish the water, do i even need to worry about all this disolved oxygen in my tank.

It takes a while to get trapped air out of them. I spoke to the mfg about these things and there is only 1 correct way to start them. With the canister totally empty. Have the intake tube in the water and the OUT tube out of the water in the air.. Pump the primer till the water starts to flow. When you hear it stop flowing then put the OUT in the water and plug in the filter. That will get most of the air out. Let me know how it works out.

Are you using the filter sleeve that fits around the carbon filter? This seems to eliminate alot of the bubbles for me. I just hooked mine up again tonight without the sleeve and there were ALOT of bubbles. I disconnected it and put the sleeve back on and no more bubbles.

eSoteric said:
these magnums dont seem to have a primer pump.

hehehe your right. Thats becaues i was thinking of my fluval.. I have both. Yea the magnums are different. You have to fill them about 3/4 of the way with water first. sorry bout that! I confuse myself sometimes

ya no sleeve...when i wasswitching my bro's carbon on his HOT magnum lkast night i saw it. and then i knew thatswhat the problem was. its no so bad anymore alot of the bubbles have worked themselves out. but you canclearly see the bubbles attached to the screen that the carbon is in! ill have to grab a sleeve today at the store! but thanks for the advice!

Back