Marine Plant/Algae Question

Rev972

Non-member
I do plan on putting some cheato in my 20 gal sump at some point. My tank is still fairly new so I thought I would just wait before I put something in my sump.

My question though is there another algae or plant that others use as either a food source or decoration for the main tank? I would like to have live plants in the main tank as decoration but I realize fish think the palnts as food and that is ok as long as I can keep growing new livestock in my sump.

I have read stories about some plants or algae growing out of control in the main tank and this is a problem that I would really like to advoid.

Planned livestock for the Main tank will be a Pair of Maroon Clowns, 6 Line Wrasse, Dwarf Flame Angle or Maybe a Dwarf Golden. Yellow Eyed Tang. Other than that we will see.

Any advice would be appreciated thanks.

don't get caulerpa unless you want it all over your display (i mean...everywhere!). It reproduces when the lights are off. It's pretty good at stealing nutrients from other bad nutrient whoring nuisances though (like cyano).

I have seen about a dozen tanks that initially put it in the sump...and had it end up in the display. I can also destroy your chaeto due to starvation and suffocation.

Depending upon your aquascaping and your substrate, you could try turtle grass. I've always wanted to do that. That would be cool.

Back