Mixing red and purple firefish?

N

number1gsxxr

What's the concensus on adding a purple firefish with a red firefish. Doing a quick search on the internet it seems as if it's 50/50. Half of the time they get along and the other half they fight.

Currently I have one red firefish that I transfered to it's new home about 2 weeks ago. It's a 75-gal tank if that matters. I'd like to add a purple firefish.

If I can't add a purple can I add another red without issue. It probably depends whether the new fish is the opposite sex or not right?

They will usually get along in the short term, but long term they fight unless they are mated pairs. The only Firefish I have been able to keep in groups are Helfrich's (unfortunately a group of them is $$$$)
Also, IME Purple tend to be a bit more aggresive than reds
Now in a big enough tank with enough other Fish, you can most likely keep 2 if introduced around the same time. they will just live at opposite ends of the tank. A 75g is right on the line of what I would say is big enough, 6' tank should be no problem.

Thanks for the info B. I think if probably got a few more reds and let a pair form, then sell/trade the rest I could probably do it. But it's probably not worth the hassle.

Luckily there are plenty of other fish to buy! :)

Back