moving casualties, so far

NateHanson said:
Is the problem perhaps that these tanks are moved too quickly, in an attempt to minimize the stress on fish and corals? I wonder if a week-long approach, where animals are moved gradually into a well-cycled new tank a handful per day, would be safer. I have a keen interest in figuring this out soon.
The problem is that it's the same tank and not a new one that is being moved. To try to take down, move and re-set up a tank and all the livestock is very tricky and stressful. If you can get your livestock out before and in a safe place while doing this it will make is much easier.

I see. These aren't tank replacements, they are tank relocations. That makes me feel a little better, but still a little horrible.

Sorry about your bad weekend One-Eye. Let me know if I can help. I've got a big tub of fresh RODI water and 5g of mixed IO if you want it. I'll bring it by if you're not too far away.

Nate

What did you do on your sand bed? We have moved four tanks in the last year and not had this bad a result. We save the top 1/2 inch of sand and dumped the rest on each move.

I will frag a piece of Greg's blue millie for you Darren. Ours is about one year old now and doing great.

Darren,

OMG....I am so sorry to hear what happened. If you need water, I have about 20 gallons of RO/DI I just made up today. I could have it over there in 30 minutes. I also have another 20 gallons of fresh made mixed water. You can have that as well if it will help. I am PMing you my phone number . Let me know if there is anything I can do.

Linda

Thanks for the offers guys! With just about everything gone, it all fits in Deb's tank. So I'm going to tank my time and think about what I want to do. I may just go with one large tank instead of multiple tanks like I was planning. I'm really in no rush at this point. Kinda depressed, I thought I had the move well planned.

Man that sux to hear. I have lost 4 acro colonies so far from my tank move (75 to 120) 3 weeks ago

One Eye said:
I thought I had the move well planned.
sorry about the losses...

it never goe's as planned.. Daragon and I have moved like six tank's in the past couple month's and it never goe's as planned...

denvig said:
This death I?m reading and hearing about during moves is terrible. I think that next time someone is planning a move like this they should post ahead of time and sign up people to temporally house fish and/or corals for them. This could take some pressure off the move and help save lives. I think there is a number of people out there that will be glad to do this.

Kinda like foster fish care ;) But wouldn't this be even more stressful on the fish? It seems that moving them between 3 tanks instead of just 2 would be very stressful. It sounds like a great idea for the corals though. I am extremely interested in this thread as well because I'm planning on a bigger tank in the next few months. Again One Eye, I'm so sorry for your losses. If I had any good frags, I would definitely give them to you.

Daire, as Dennis pointed out to me a few posts up, this doesn't seem to be as much of an issue when moving into a new tank. These tragedies have occured during moving of an existing tank and sandbed, so removing the fish and corals for a week might allow any nutrient spike stirred up from the sandbed to neutralize, and spare the animals that toxic period.

Sounds like it happened too fast to be a nutrient spike. Either bad chemicals released by something or lack of O2. I wouldn't have thought lack of O2 would kill everything so quick. Any chance of outside contamination?

NateHanson said:
Daire, as Dennis pointed out to me a few posts up, this doesn't seem to be as much of an issue when moving into a new tank. These tragedies have occured during moving of an existing tank and sandbed, so removing the fish and corals for a week might allow any nutrient spike stirred up from the sandbed to neutralize, and spare the animals that toxic period.

Ahhh...thanks for the clarification Nate...and phew...makes me less anxious about upgrading. :)

Man this hobby can be so frustrating sometimes. The only way I have been able to "move" a tank is to buy a new set-up, cycle it for 3 weeks to a month, then gradually move the livestock.

Darren,

Once your system is stabilized, get in contact with me. I'll try and restock with some sps. I know you'll want a piece of the montipora peltiformis, and soli.

Thanks Lam....my soli was one of the biggest loses. I was ready to post some new pics of it. It has really colored up nicely. I'm kinda in an odd space right now. I'm mixed between the loss of the corals I had and exicited about restocking....I was going to set up a new tank anyway so the loss part is winning right now.

Back