My new weapon in the war with RBTAs

JPags

BRS Member
Well if you put an RBTA in your tank you know they can multiply like crazy. So I got lazy and my nems ended up splitting so I had like 8 red and 1 green.

I used the anemone cannon to get them out in the past but it can be tricky. I printed up a top and bottom to make it easier to hold it in place and it was working well but removing one at a time takes too long. So reading that you can use a pump head pointed at them I came up with my new weapon

I call it the anemone extractor

It’s basically a maxi-jet 600 hooked you to some tubing and using a shutoff valve and the smaller tubing to get down to a small blast of water at the end.

You mount the maxijet in the tank. Turn it on with valve closed (so you don’t end up with a fountain in your tank) and then proceed to blast the foot with water jet. Easily lets you adjust the flow while doing it.

Got 6 of them out in around an hour or so. One gave me a hard time and I ended up tearing him a bit because his foot was pretty buried, they are cheap so I just ripped it out in the end. Stupid thing is still alive in a holder now and will probably split.

I also realized this is a nice tool for cleaning rocks and blowing crap into water column so I’m going to keep it for that too.

Cost me about 20 bucks for the maxi jet, everything else I had.

IMG_0558.jpeg

I love my nems and so do my clowns, just my other corals don’t because they always win in a fight

Same issue... Will try this... TAKES so long! and some people can't keep them alive.. I can't stop them overtaking my tank! the funny part is my clowns hosted in my leather for YEARS and won't move into one of my 20 BTA's!

Ill say this, be patient. Some of my nems really had their foot in the rock and I got impatient and tugged at them. Ended up splitting it and even though I got it out they did not make it when i put them in my frag tank and another one I left enough that its now growing back. But once you get under their foot this really makes them start to release.

Back