Need LED Kit recommendations

arch85

Non-member
Hey guys,

I'm about to start a second tank, which is mainly going to be a frag tank, with a couple of clowns in there.

It's a 29 gallon tank, and will "not" have a sump -- I'll be using a HOB filter. Planning on having a deep sandbed, and about 30-40lbs of LR for filtration along with the HOB filter.

Now all that being said, I am looking for light recommendations ... I was originally going to go with the CurrentUSA TrueLumen Pro leds (we have them on our 92 gallon tank and love them), but for such a small tank, I can't digest the cost of $300 ...

I emailed the guys from RapidLED and ReefLedLights, but neither one of them has gotten back to me.

RapidLED: http://www.rapidled.com/
ReefLedLights: http://www.reefledlights.com/

I think ReefLedLights is a little cheaper, but I don't know jack about these kits so I might be wrong.

Can you guys recommend a kit and colors?

I do not have much experience with LEDs, so I'm looking for "everything" in the kit -- LEDs, heatsinks, fixture if I need one?, drivers?, power cords, etc etc..

I don't mind soldering, but if the price difference is not big, then I would prefer the non-soldering ones ...

I wasn't really planning on having a canopy, but can probably build something if really required ... I would prefer the lights to be not too high from the tank so that I can minimize the height of the entire thing..

I think having them dimmable might be helpful, but if you feel it's not necessary, then I would go with your judgement. I would also like some night lights ...

Sorry about the long list of "wants" -- I figured I'd mention everything I'm looking for to waste least amount of your time :)

Thanks!

ah awesome! thanks! Seems like they use Bridgelux -- any down side of using that instead of CREE?

i have the aqua style 36 led kit over my 37 with six different types of softies in it and they are all doing amazing, if you plan on making a diy led drimmer/controller i would go with the meanwell drivers, when i bought mine they didnt have the meanwell drivers as an option. the drivers that come with the kit are analog.

arch85
I think for the 29g tank, a 24 Cree 3watts LED is more than enough to grow anything .
For a 24 LED, you want something like 16 Royal Blue and 8 Cool White is perfect. (if you go with 50/50 blue to white, the white will wash out all the blue).
two Mean Well ELN-60-48D dimmable driver and a 16" Heat Sink for 24 LEDs and a dim kit is all you need.

I have lots of wiring left over from my last LED project that you could have it you want. (free)

Thanks guys; I think I've plenty of info now; will probably start a build thread for the 29 gallon once I pick it up over the weekend.

Thanks again!

- Archit

Back