New 65gal Setup - Looking for comments

Esp with a tank as deep as yours, and just from my own personal experience (i sold a 65 not too long ago), do yourself a favor and buy the halides first (even if you have to go used or wait longer etc etc). You'll be able to keep clams, SPS, LPS, whatever you want, and you won't waste any money buying and rebuying~. Mine was lit with 2x250 SE bulbs.

If you are having a hard time deciding, I would suggest taking a peek a few members tanks before buying -anything-, because you'll probably learn a lot about what will or will not work for you.

For what its worth, I've got 250 hqi's over both my tanks. I used to Run XM 10k back in my single ended days, switched to HQI and AB 10k, and now i'm set on Ushio 10k's because they are less blue (GROW GROW GROW). It just doesn't make a lot of sense (to me) why a person would run anything other than Halides, esp in a mixed reef type tank. If you want less light(less par) (favoring softies for instance), run 175's or bluer light bulbs... some folks use VHO's for their actinic (blue light) supplementation also, because they provide Awesome blue's, but these again don't provide any real quantity of "useable" light.

Again and again, I hear people talking about "watts per gallon". This is what I like to refer to as "horse puckey". If you take 10,000 fifty watt light bulbs, and put them over your tank, you're going to have a gajillion watts of =electricity= used for sure, but the amount of photosynthetically available light reaching below 3" from the surface in that water is still going to be zero!! So the whole, wattage per gallon rule, is really not somethign I'd invest much confidence in. My frag tank is only 12" deep, but has a 36x18 foot print, and it is lit with a low hanging 250 HQI.

You'll also see "turnover" a mentioned a lot, suggesting you should turn your tank x number of times per hour. With things like in-tank power heads and closed loops, that also goes out the window. You don't need turnover, just flow! If you can move the water in the tank with a magical wave making elevator and skim out of themain tank, you'd never "turn it over" and things would be just fine! That said, i've more than once made the mistake of not factoring in enough flow. Maxijet 1200's on a red sea wavemaker are pretty great IMO. Tunze's are rockin' too ;) But they rip apart short tanks...

heh. I ranted a little.Some of those "common" statements just make me crazy, so i had to make a crazy post about them. good luck/cheers!

rharlow said:
Seems T5s are somewhat controversial. (...) So right now I'm stuck with going with two 150W MH Reef Optix vs. a Sunlight Supply 4x39w T5 with 2x95w VHO URI Super Actinics.

Chip: I used to have T5 lighting on my 75g tank (6x 54W), and while it was great (excellent growth, and very nice coloration on almost all corals; also had a clam doing great) it didn't bring out the blues and purples on the more light demanding acros very well... I tried different bulb combinations, and liked aquablues with blue+ the best, but those purple corals still lacked the vibrant colors that they would otherwise have under MHs. I kind of got tired of always thinking "what would these look under MHs?" so I decided to upgrade to 2x 250W DE MH, and kept 4 of the T5 as actinic supplementation. Those purple/blue corals quickly picked up color and are looking nicer than ever.

So my suggestion would be to go directly to MH (if you can afford it and can work around the heat issues) and avoid having the "did I do the right thing?" question pop up in your head sooner or later.

Nuno

Oh, Nunu is right. It isn't to say you can't keep keep ANY sps, or ANY clams in a lower light tank. You totally can! And I've seen some beautiful tanks with very low lighting requirements.The key point is the growth rate of most things will not be as rapid, and the color morphs not as vibrant. (As nuno suggested)

Thanks Piscevore and Nuno!

So, if I go with MH, I'll probably go dual (that center brace issue). Do you think I will need to go pendants or can I get by with 250W SE Retro? I'm building my own canaopy, so I can go both ways. I like the way Nuno put his pendants, but I can also build the canopy to fit retros. Also, as far as supplemental actinics, do you think 2x95 VHO URI Supers or something in 2x39 T5s? Thanks again!! Just wanting to do it right the first time! Also, the stand is almost done, so next up is the canopy - got to decide!!! :D Thanks

Chip

When Nuno switch to MH, I know t-5 is on its way out. VHO is so yesterday and you will have a hard time finding replacement bulb later on. MH is getting cheaper and cheaper. You can buy MH bulbs as cheap as $25 on eBay (well, on your own risk).

As far as Seio, I like them. If anyone want to sell their Seio, please let me know.

Hello,
I have a 125 gallon with 3 250 watt MH and 2 100w vho. I have to say that I have only been running two of the mh and it seems to be plenty (due to heat issues). I have 2 6100 Tunze's and must say that is the best investment I have made for the tank. I think that if I didn't make the investment right away, I probably wouldn't have made it later. Just make your investments wisely. Buy what you need and don't skimp. I have had no problems because I bought the right equipment when I started my tank.

Good luck and you couldn't have come to a better place for advice.

Tammie and Bob

Back