New Lights and DIY Hanging Fixture

medic1175

Non-member
I setup my new to me lights tonight and built a hanging fixture for them. The lights are the Current Sunpod 2x 150w with 9 blue and 9 white lunar lights. I couldnt see spending $80-90 for the Current hanging arms so off to Lowes I went. I built a pair of arms using 3/4" conduit and 3/16" steel rope. I attached pics below, I am going to spray paint the arms and cables black tomorrow, tonight was the dry run to make sure everything holds.

Attachments

• DSC01841.jpg
    DSC01841.jpg
    43.9 KB · Views: 196
  • DSC01842.jpg
    DSC01842.jpg
    37 KB · Views: 191
Looks good. I think you can get away with alot thinner cable, maybe 1/8 even 1/16. Give it some thought to doing away with the S and running the cable straight thur the pipe. Anyways good luck.

Nice. How did you attached the poles to the stand? I'm thinking of doing the same.

Yeah Fishace, the cable was def overkill. I will pick up thinner better looking stuff at some point. The reason for the "s" is I could not find any "hooks" that I could thread through and secure with a nut. I wanted to be able to remove the fixture without having to remove the arms.

PVH, I bought a length of 1x4 and I cut 2 pieces. I attached 3/4" conduit brackets to these boards and I then attached the boards to the stand. Im finishing up the project today among a ton of other projects, fixing a baffle in my sump and an ato etc...:)

I will post pics later showing the whole setup for you, pm me if you have any questions. So far Im very pleased with it and total it cost about $30.

Yeah Fishace, the cable was def overkill. I will pick up thinner better looking stuff at some point. The reason for the "s" is I could not find any "hooks" that I could thread through and secure with a nut. I wanted to be able to remove the fixture without having to remove the arms.

PVH, I bought a length of 1x4 and I cut 2 pieces. I attached 3/4" conduit brackets to these boards and I then attached the boards to the stand. Im finishing up the project today among a ton of other projects, fixing a baffle in my sump and an ato etc...:)

I will post pics later showing the whole setup for you, pm me if you have any questions. So far Im very pleased with it and total it cost about $30.

I'm watching this one, at some point I may be doing the same thing. I always thought that if you had square stock at the top you could slide the lights. Let us know how you make out.

Fish Ace, I'm not sure what you mean by square stock at the top. If you could explain that would be great if I decide to change something. Will post pics in a little while, had to work last night.

brilliant! I like the idea a lot. I will have to keep that in mind if I make another hood.

yeah you can go with muuuch smaller steel rope. That stuff can probably hold your car up... (though the conduit cant)

Back