New Setup 220g + 280g + 150 sump

msargius

Non-member
I am getting this 220g glass and a 280g acrylic, also have 150g sump. What I am thinking, is putting the 220 in my living room 1st floor, acrylic underneath in basement for frags etc... sump next to it... Do you guys wanna help me setting up the water flow, pipe diacmeters etc...

pick up tanks hopefully this weekend...glass already reef ready...will need to convert the acrylic....but also thinking of adding close loop for the glass. sump I already have ..it is made of plywood, with front glass...need some changes on it

Damn I wish I had enough room for that total water volume. Very nice. Makes my 28 gal feel like a drop in the bucket...

Damn I wish I had enough room for that total water volume. Very nice. Makes my 28 gal feel like a drop in the bucket...

sometimes small is nice...

waiting passionatly to pick up tanks...I know it will be a month or two maybe three, before I can finish setting this up. Just not sure amount of work involved...seems like sleepless nights

sometimes small is nice...

waiting passionatly to pick up tanks...I know it will be a month or two maybe three, before I can finish setting this up. Just not sure amount of work involved...seems like sleepless nights

you'll be listening for strange gurgles and splash sounds for the whole time you have the reef, esp when you first set it up. ;)

It does sound like a very ambitious project. I'd say to plan it out very carefully. Visit members who have basement systems set up, and learn from them. It isn't rocket science, but it IS better to do it only once.

awsome i hope u have as fun as the rest of us GOODLUCK did u hire some 1 2 take lots of pics

No I didn't hire anyone....you see I had to leave work, I am a construction contractor, and have my own company...(actually stopped working three month ago ) due to medical problems.... so I have more time reading, planning, playing, fooling around with my tanks...actually I have been learning alot in here in the past two month..everyone was great, except some of the hursh critisisms you hear about being cheap, etc (in some other posts)...(no work..no money ...no tank)..so sometimes you have to take the extra step...I taped into my reserve and that worry me specially in my situation....

Well definetly I will be posting a lot of pictures..I started picking up lots and lots of equipments, some I made like the Calcium reactor....Soon I will post the complete list of all my equipment...so I can get feedback on the best setup ...(energy efficient also--which doesn't seem to work in this place)...

If anybody have a similar setup, I would love to see their pictures, specially technical things, like pump size, flow rate, etc... It is nice to a MAG in a picture but at least it will be nicer to know its power or its flow rate...that way you learn more...

"putting the 220 in my living room 1st floor, acrylic underneath"

I would look more into bracing the floor for this weight.

"putting the 220 in my living room 1st floor, acrylic underneath"

I would look more into bracing the floor for this weight.

Well I am a contractor...so I have few LVLs laying around ... few adjustable columns....etc....beside I've been working for a long time calculating loads dead+ live for construction of houses .... so bracing is going to be the first step....

"it would be fun, getting up in the morning and find one tank sitting on top of the other:eek:"

Ok here I am planning...and of course the more you plan the more it gets complicated, but also you have the added benefit of smooth running system. So my first stage of planning is my 127gallon sump and equipment that I would like to use or might add in the future. and I do need your help and support (techinicaly and chemistry as well as experience)

equipment:
40w UV sterilizer
Phosban Reactor
Nitrate Reactor
Carbon canister
Calcium Reactor (can I add this to it....)
(each of the above I would like to add a flow meter, shutoff union valves. the idea is that I am able to disconnect and remove any of the above without stopping any of the pumps.

I was thinking of hooking all the above in series so the water gets filtered...

Skimmer will be by itself on 1100g/h extrnal pump

also above the sump is a Phytoplankton reactor that feed a refugium tank 20g (the output of the reactor will be hooked to a 9w u.v. in case of outbreak). the return of the refugium goes into the sump right where the water will be delivered to the main tank...the idea is delivering a constant flow of live food supliment.

water coming from the main tank will be split between the refugium (very low flow) and the sump.

on the return side (using 750 g/h , not sure if it is enough ...but that what I have now) will be split to three.
1. Main tank return
2. Uv., carbon, phosban...etc which the water will flow back to sump
3. an extra outlet if needed to releive pressure of the main pump, should I ellect to restrict the water going to the main tank (it does prolong the life of the pump)

the idea fewer pumps to operate and less cost...

my sump is 70 x 20 x 22 sitting on the floor...my vision is that I will attach most equipment above it on a plywood ....Ph controller, float valves etc...will go in the sump....

one last thing...which I am still trying to research if I can dose Magnisium by holding it in a canister above the sump, and releasing it through timer / dosing pump etc....something like a kalk reactor...

I would love to automate the whole system....

Evaporated water will be added from a 32g bucket holding RO water that goes into a Kalk reactor featured with ph controller to prevent ph fluctuation.

the above system will be hooked to an old laptop that I had in my basement collecting dust, which will control most of the selonoids x10 devices and log almost everything hapening in the system...

all feedbacks are welcome...a productive critisism of any of the above is also welcomed...your input will be much appreciated, most propably you have tried something that I need to be warned about it...or you did it in a much better way and I hope that If you don't mind sharing it with me....

the system I would like to build should be easly maintained but also can be expanded ...i.e. bigger skimmer, adding a new gadget (hopefully without a pump by hooking it up to the system).

by the way... the reason I am having a charcoal canister is to polish the water once a month for a period of one week...

Nitrate reactor, is due to the fact that I have a heavy load of fishes in the main tank...(I love fish) and I am worried that also because I love LPS and softies , to my understanding they release a lot of toxic in the water. Also having a lot of corals, specially that I have two tanks, a total volume of water is 220+280+100= 600g , I just wanted to make sure that if Nitrate is detected I am able to absorb it quickly from the system.

Back