OK, now what? Clown and Clam

KAS

Always learning
So... I have had a clownfish and a derasa clam for probably more than 2 years. In addition, I provided a BTA for this clown for at least a year. 'It' showed absolutely no interest in hosting in the BTA. I have LOTS of long tenacled stuff, like toadstool, anthelia, torch, ... BUT what do I see a couple of days ago? This clown has decided to host in my clam! Now what do I do? The clown lays in the mantle, kind of snuggles up, ... the clam get irratated and 'snaps' shut.

Should I get rid of the clam? The clownfish? Has anybody ever had a clown decide to host in a clam?

I kind of feel like... Will wonders never cease...
-Karen

i've heard of a lot of cases where a clownfish hosts in a clam. but i always wondered what happens when the clam slams shut with the clown in it. that would be traumatic.

I would probably give it a bit longer, and hope that the clown smartens up. I had clowns that were hosting in hair algea for about a week, then they just stopped, hopefully the same thing will happen for you.

If it doesn't stop I would get rid of whichever one you like the least :). Unless of course you have lots of clams, or want lots of clams, and fear repeat behavior with the clown in another clam :).

My clowns hang out in my big clam from time to time but it does not seem to bother it.
I have even seen the clowns picking at it, maybe cleaning, and the clam flinched a little once or twice

Karen:
I will loan you my BTA and your clam will not be irratated anymore.

Ray:
The BTA did it again. Now I am not going to have any clown fish in my tank any more. I came home and the clown fish was in the BTA but it was not hosting the BTA. I pulled the poor guy away from the BTA and the clown fish did not recover.

Back