Online Stores and LFS Lighting

pvh

Non-member
I noticed a lot of online stores and LFS advertised they use 20K 400W DE MH. Just curious why they would use 20k if what I've been reading that you will get better growth under 10k. Could it be that 20k give better color to the corals?

Yes, blue light makes for pretty WSIWG pics, problem is they are only that pretty under that blue light which isn't necessarily all that good for growth or long term health.

Pretty much everyone bringing in wild colonies is using 20Ks. They claim the wild corals hold there color better. Obviously they are not after growth just keeping a salable product.
Also 20K with less PAR is less stressful on a coral that has been without light for a few days-week.

If you're pumped up to a 400W MH bulb, I'm sure there's PLENTY of par, even with a 20k bulb....watts are watts

400 w is a lot of light even at 20K.

Most coral won't stay in the shops for long so growth is less a concern than color of the corals.

Last edited:
Also, there are not many hobbist has 400w DE 20K halide.

When people complain about the coral they received were less colorful, the excuse can be the lighting difference.

Back