Orange Fungia STN'ing

RiverReefer

Toothless Reefing
sooooo i went out and bought an orange (domed) fungia for $65 on sunday, threw it in the tank - it looked perfectly fine at the store (or else i wouldn't have purchased it). I trust the store emphatically. I soaked the bag, didn't really aclimate it that much....put it in the tank (barebottom) and immediately my pep (true pep not camel shrimp) went over and started picking the mouth. I shoo'd it off and haven't seen the pep on it again, but now the plate is basically stn'd ...it hasn't extended it's polyps at all..it still has flesh on it, but all of its ridges are without flesh....anything imparticular that anyone would be able to contribute on what i can do to try to save this thing?

I'm pretty sure the pep was picking off something that was wrong with it when I put it in the tank because it has never touched another coral in my tank that is basically full of LPS. Could the bare bottom be the problem?? Is this coral super sensitive to temp change (possibly from bag to tank even though soak was for about an hour)?

Any vets recommend I remove it and do an iodine/betadine dip?

I have for 5 years kept rare, expensive, sps, lps, softy corals by trading and having friends within the community that have kept nice corals....very rarely would I EVER buy an semi-expensive coral from a LFS and when I do this happens....pi$$e$ me off :mad:.

TIA

Nate

I guess a dip would be a good idea, but I don't yet have a fungia so not a 100% sure if they're cool with dips or not.

Give it some time; it might heal itself. Try to put it in the shade if you have any initially.

And btw, I know it doesn't help any now, but in general, always acclimatize corals like you do fish. I didn't use to initially, and lost a bunch of stock. But ever since I've started acclimatizing them, haven't had any casualties *fingers crossed*

If you are not able to stop the STN'ing don't take it out of the tank, leave it in even if it is stone white, it may take time but it will produce some offspring and you will have another plate.

Has it gotten any sand on it?

no sand to get on it...barebottom. i've read opposing veiw points but never even if its stone white keep it in the tank and i'll get offspring...ty for the heads up. Going to let it be now and see if it comes back....if anyone else has anything to add feel free. btw params are all NSW levels, in-check, and stable...

archa thanks for the advice - I've been doing this for a while, I happened to be in a rush that day so I had to drop it before dripping and since I trusted who I purchased it from, inspected with a magnifying glass, I didn't have to dip.

I have heard on a few occasions that a year old skeleton had produced an offspring, I will try to find the links.

Back