Paint/Varnish Question for a Canopy

CJ*

Non-member
I'm going to have to build a canopy for my tank. I know for paint that it needs to be marine grade paint to be used on a canopy. When I did it before my canopies were all painted black to match my aga black solid pine stands. But this tank has the cherry trim and stand with a black glass door and the top and bottom of the stand are black, but the sides are cherry. The stand does not cover the bottom lip of the tank, so if I made the canopy be black then I think it would look funny having a cherry lip sticking out. So that made me think of staining the canopy cherry. But the only stains that I've ever used seem rather toxic, even more so then paint. Do they make a stain that's save to use around reef tanks?

Last edited:
I've always used regular stains on the outside and polyed it afterwards, gloss white enamel paint on the inside . Never had any problems. After everytihing dried a few days it's fine.

It is only the inside you should use a marine type finish. Only issue is marine stuff is pretty expensive

On the outside you can use use regular stain and polyurethane

Back