Personal Into

PrestonBRoth

Non-member
Hi my name is Preston,
I just started a small salt water fish only tank. I have been doing a lot of research on how to manage my tank and the posts here are awesome. If there are any post that i must read please let me know. Talk soon.

Preston

Maybe start at the 'Useful Threads' section under Reef Talk?
http://www.bostonreefers.org/forums/showthread.php?5034-Useful-threads

Its a place to start anyway. There is a TON of info to sort through all over the place. I have only been at reefing for just a year now. Early on my head was awash with a lot of information to digest. The best tip I was given was. "Nothing happens quickly in a salt water tank". This means take things slow and easy to prevent problems. Most advice is good. There are often alternatives to one solution, each with their own plusses/minuses. It is very easy to go gadget crazy and spend money on things not really necessary. What I did? Start simple. Then as I learned more, gained confidence, and understood my tank more, I built up from there.

The important thing is to keep the hobby fun and interesting. When a hobby becomes a job.. it can go downhill. The more complex your tank set up becomes, you'll want to look into controllers to help automate and monitor things. This helps keep the 'job' part under control.

Welcome aboard, and let the questions fly. We have all been through it before.

Back