Votes: 8 40.0%
  • They're bad.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I don't know but I wanted to vote.

Votes: 12 60.0%

• Total voters

Moe_K

Stabbed by Foulke
I'm thinking of getting a Dolphin Amp Master 2100 pump for my 125g tank. It'll operate at ~10' of head.
Or maybe I'd get a Dolphin 2600, since it'll give me 1500gph at 10' (that's exactly 12x turnover).
Combined with a closed loop, I think the sytem should give me the flow I want for an SPS tank.
What's your opinion of Dolphin pumps - specifically the 2100?
Thanks.

Last edited:
I don't know...

But I hope the heck they are good, I just bought a Dolphin AQUA SEA 5200 but have yet to plumb it in. I've got to drill a couple of rubbermaid stock tanks for bulkheads first.

KevK has a 2100 on his 125, I believe he is running 3 or 4 SCWD's (more?) and his skimmer off it, he told me I've forgotten how many. One thing I thought was neat was he has a little "christmas tree" affair attached to the output .. I believe it provides 8 3/4" hose barbs.. it is also made by Dolphin. Neat accessory.

I was amazed at how quiet it was. My Iwaki 70 (Japanese) that feeds the skimmer is VERY LOUD in comparison. I hope to get rid of it (and the skimmer) as soon as my Euro-Reef 12-6 shows up.

Regards
Noel

Last edited:
I don't know myself, but in speaking to Greg Schiemer a few weeks ago he had a lot of BAD things to say about them. Apparently the specs they put out are fantasy, the pumps do not put out near what they claim, and apparently this is well known in the industry.

I've been using my GRI pumps for many years due to the data that Richard Harker put out on them many years ago in an article on line (high efficiency, very low electrical use). Unfortunately, the article has gone into web 'La-La' land. You can still find the article if you search REALLY hard, but the data from the graphs is missing, which makes it worthless. I know know/remember if Dolphin pumps were considered in the article, it's a bit dated.

Maybe if you see Richard at MACNA you can ask him himself if he has a hard copy of the article, or what his thinking is at the moment. Greg S. too....I think Greg said he liked the Hayward sequence? pumps?

Last edited:
Moe:

I did a lot of research on the dolphin pumps also, but ended up purchasing a Sequence 5200 about 6 weeks ago. Like Greg stated, some of the performance numbers on the Dolphins were questionable (the older ones also had some issues with seals/salt creep)and the Sequence was a bit better for electric usage. I have not had the chance to hook it up yet, but the Sequence were also getting great reviews on RC.

p.s. I believe since I bought mine Marco and PA have started carrying the Sequence line.

HTH
Craig

Thanks guys. Somebody else PM'ed me with a similar warning.
Guess I might have to go with a Sequence, but they're big bucks.
Is there anything else that'll give me 12x turnover at 10' of head that's reliable, yet less money than a Sequence?

they are very powerful.. make sure you have a ball valve! ... i've seen a few over pump some RR tanks .. just ball it and .. they are great pumps ... their bigger pumps are awesome and last forever! LSOP uses em for the main systems .. a couple of them are about 8-10 years old i think .. still running strong

I read a ton of threads on RC and Sequence seems to be one of the more respected ones but they only make powerful pumps.

I'm running a 2100 on a 125 in an under cabnet install in my livingroom. It runs nice and quite and drives three scwds and and forth return. It also runs the feed to the turbofloater skimmer and my filter, the last two channels are bled back into the sump. The small sequence that drives air into the skimmer is as loud, but I've only had it a few months and have no info on how long it will last.

Back