Re-Cycling Question

MichaelJ

Reefer
BRS Member
I was a week into cycling my 20 gallon, took it down and put every into a 36 gallon….so does the cycling process start over again……same water (with extra 15 gallons) same sand and rock.

I’m still very much an amateur myself, but I believe the short answer is NO. I don’t know how far along your tank was at one week depending on how you are cycling.

At one week the tank is still very new. It was still very much in the middle of the cycling process and then you near double the water volume. I wouldn’t say that the process is “starting over” however it is very much still cycling. If you haven’t already, use some of the “quick start” bacteria to help speed the process up.

At one week the tank is still very new. It was still very much in the middle of the cycling process and then you near double the water volume. I wouldn’t say that the process is “starting over” however it is very much still cycling. If you haven’t already, use some of the “quick start” bacteria to help speed the process up.
I figured so… still worth the wait. Thank you.

I would say if water parameters were somewhat matched and rock wanst out of water long, you will still have the same amount of bacteria on the rock that was there after the 1st week. Nothing changed. You are definitely still in the cycling period though but wouldn't really think you delayed its progression.

I would say if water parameters were somewhat matched and rock wanst out of water long, you will still have the same amount of bacteria on the rock that was there after the 1st week. Nothing changed. You are definitely still in the cycling period though but wouldn't really think you delayed its progression.
I hope not…..we’ll see though…

1 week isnt really enough time for a cycle even if you used a starter bacteria and the booster. Let the bacteria colonize and establish. youll be happier in the long run. you can prolly toss in an easy coral or fish but nothing expensive or hard should be tried at this stage. give it time...it will be worth it.

1 week isnt really enough time for a cycle even if you used a starter bacteria and the booster. Let the bacteria colonize and establish. youll be happier in the long run. you can prolly toss in an easy coral or fish but nothing expensive or hard should be tried at this stage. give it time...it will be worth it.
Yeah I was just curious if when moving to a new tank would set me back to zero…that’s all.

Back