re-sealing a tank few questions

reefstarter

Non-member
so I am in the process of re-sealing what will be my new tank and I wasn't going to remove the overflows. But Nooooowww I think I should . what is the rule of thumb here ? I have seen many videos of doing it on non reef ready tanks and I am confident I can do it well . Ok there are 2 questions . I also would like to use black silicone on the overflows . Maybe the whole tank . where can I buy this ? silicone 1 is pure silicone is silicone 2 ok to use ?

Why?

Are you looking to rebuild the tank, or just redo the inner protective bead?

If just the inner bead, it will look pretty odd if you use black over the original clear structural seams.

Again, it depends on what you're trying to do?

Why are you looking to reseal or rebuild?

re-seal , and now since I have removed the overflow boxes Rather than try to clean them up I think I will get new ones , any Idea where I can buy them online ?

Bulkreefsupply sells some styles of acrylic boxes, I don't know if they do anything custom. There is at least one shop that sells acrylic overflows on eBay, IIRC they will do custom sizes and shapes if you inquire.

So why are you doing this? I keep asking because it matters a lot :)
Did the tank leak? Were the structural seams damaged or otherwise compromised?

The tank is about 25-20 years old and since I am putting it upstairs I didn't want to take any chances . structurally its fine . more for piece of mind

Back