Red hair algae

eagletree2006

Non-member
I have a 30 gl saltwater tank. A red fuzzy algae on 50% of the live rocks. My tank system is: Bio wheel ( Emperor 280 ), a Remora protein skimmer, T5 high output light and two circulation pumps. I can't find the way to get ride of that algae. Could it possibly be due to an inadequate filtration system. I'd like to eventually replace my bio wheel with canister, could it solve my problem?

can u snap a picture of the algae? also if you have 2 circulation pumps you won't really need that emperor 280 on there... but if you do want to keep it make sure you take that bio wheel off since it will trap nitrate and nitrite

I'd ditch the biofilter setup, how much live rock do you currently have?

How often do you feed and do water changes?

^^^

Agree,and don't get a canister filter(sometimes useful for running carbon) but other than that,not needed.
I had some red turf algae growing on my back wall and on some rocks,powerheads.
I picked up 15 mexican turbos snails for a bargain at a local frag swap and they just about cleared it up in 2-3 weeks.

I already removed the wheel of it. There is presently 30lbs of rocks. Thank for the tip, I wont get that canister. I only have two turbo snails but they don't do much" I should probably get more. I use RO whater and can only change the water once a month, every two week but I change 6 and a half gl at the time.

If you can, try trimming the algae in a separate bucket then use a toothbrush to scrape it down. My snails didn't touch my hair algae when it was long but once I reduced it to plugs they mowed over it and it was gone. They seemed to help with the patches that were just starting to grow rather than established patches.

- Like Takara said .... how often/how much to you feed your fish (if you have them)?

Maybe limit feeding to every other day? Rinse/pat dry any krill before it goes in. Rinse/strain any mysis. All help reduce nutrients in your system that go uneaten.

Last edited:
Back